Monday, September 25, 2006

Square pegs... square pegs...

I was thinking of that theme song because there's a line in the song about having to wear glasses. Don't ask, it worked in my head. :)

I went to the eye doctor on Thursday before Carlos Mencia. I always have such a hard time with the eye doctor. I worry about giving the 'right' answer. I also had my eyes dilated for the first time. My eye guy said that we didn't do it last time because I had some sort of infection, which was true. But all other times with other doctors, they've never done it. I now kind of get why those people have a hard time when their eyes are dilated. It wasn't so much all the light that was being let in, although that was part of it. But it genuinely made my eyes feel weird and not right and periodically I felt like I had to adjust to see through them. I also ordered new glasses which is fun and exciting. I picked them out in less than 20 minutes. There was another woman there who had been picking since before I went in for the exam and still hadn't decided after I made my decision. She asked me my opinion and I said it depended on what she was looking for. The one pair made her look younger and fun and the other a bit more librarian and if she's going for being young and hip she should go with the others. Freakishly enough she took my advice. :) Hopefully I won't run into her when I'm picking up my glasses and she has had a chance to hate them or anything. :)

Also I hate my hair. Completely and fully. I was looking at it in the mirror at the eyeglass place and the color seems to mostly have left it. Although there must be still some color since the roots are a distinctly different color. But the part around my face seems to still be a different color. I'm sure it is the chlorine from the pool, but in any case it does not look good in my opinion. I also hate its current length. So currently it gets worn in a pony tail every day because I hate it so much. Really. I hate it. I'm considering shaving my head but I know that's no solution.

Finally how much do I love Amazon.com? I had a brief flirtation with a boycott of them after I spent 5 hours interviewing for a job I didn't get. (bastards) Although hindsight being what it is, I would've hated that job and wanted to quit 10 minutes later I'm sure. Anyway, I found the book I need for the class I'm taking for $50 less than I would pay directly to the group that does my class. How awesome is that?

Also in answer to Mishka's question about where I find my volunteering gigs. I go to a multitude of sources. My number 1 place is volunteermatch. However, for several places I am now on their books so to speak so I get reminders or requests when it is time for other things. The Paramount actually sends out volunteer emails monthly to say these are the shows we have this month and if you're interested in volunteering let them know. Others I remember from year to year and seek them out myself, AIDS Walk and Firefighter Stairclimb (that one I actually have a calendar reminder to myself to register for because we love doing it so much). (Also thanks to the Paramount I'll be seeing the Killers on the 12th of October. I love The Paramount! :) )

2 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

Poor hair. Don't shave it. Isn't it a length that you have had before? Maybe it's the shape of the cut? Did you go to a new stylist?

Kate the Peon said...

1. I, too, worry about giving the wrong answer at the eye dr.'s.

2. They never have to dilate my eyes - my pupils are apparently big enough already.

3. I hate picking out new glasses.

4. I have often wanted to shave my head just to see what my hair would come in as now.