Tuesday, December 25, 2007

In CA

Do you miss me??

I got here on Sunday. It is HOT. Much hotter than I'm used to and it surprised me.

Michelle's baby is cute. She posts pictures on flicker but those do the kid little justice. Seriously. I just like touching her head because she's fuzzy and soft. She's a good baby. Between Kenna and my friend Janel's baby Trygve I may not dislike infants as much as I think I do.

Totally unrelated, I was talking to lyday the other day about adopting kids. My theory on this is that I meet up with a social worker and say you tell me who would do good with me. I do fear adopting a black baby though. Only because I've been listening to my scout moms talking about what you have to do with little black girls' hair and it freaks me out. Hot combs. Wax or something like that. Seriously it is intimidating. Lyday, who is 1/2 black herself, gave me a compliment. She said she thought I'd be great with any kind of kid really. That was nice of her.

So far, we've gone to Mongolian bbq and hung out. Michelle's grandmother, aunt and other aunt came by for dinner tonight. That was a ... tiring meal. It was nice and her hubby cooked a fabulous dinner. One of her aunts, though, had an anyuerism a few years ago and it definitely has affected her. There were kind of weird conversations going on, but in reality every one was nice and civil to each other so that beats most meals with my family 100%.

Slightly related... I wonder if my mother ever told my grandmother about Kayla before my grandmother died. When my grandmother heard Amanada got married, she implied that Amanda HAD to get married. In a fit of righteous indignation my mom lied and said no she didn't. Rather than do the logical thing like announce the baby a year later and just keep Kay a year younger than she really is, she continued to deny the existence of Kay. So weird...

Still on the agenda:
Christmas tomorrow at Michelle's mom's house.
Arts & Crafts projects - Maybe glass etching. Definitely scrapbooking.
A movie - I want to see Juno. Looks funny.
After Christmas shopping
And perhaps tattoos. I am still thinking a horseshoe and now I'm waffling on placement. I originally was thinking between my boobies and now I'm thinking the top of my left foot.

Recently I saw Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox story. HYSTERICAL. Definitely see it. Tonight we watched Spider Man 3. I can't help but think that may have been the most boring movie ever. Ok not EVER, but it was seriously boring.

Merry Christmas!! Have a wonderful day tomorrow and I hope Santa Claus brings you everything you want!

7 comments:

... said...

Glad you got to Cali okay....and hope you continue to have a stress free Christmas holiday...

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas!

On the topic of adopting: my boss and his partner adopted a little black baby. She is the cutest thing ever! They're already getting lots of advice from black staff members about what to do with her hair. Don't let that scare you. Just make friends with folks who can teach you. :)

Kate the Peon said...

I think little black boys are the cutest things ever. Sheesh gave good advice. I want to see Juno, too. Keep enjoying yourself!

Kate the Peon said...

What kind of name is Trygve????

Jodi said...

Curious which Mongolian BBQ you went to. I went to Mogo's on Sunday night.

DD said...

Dawn Friedman adopted a black girl and she does many posts on how doing her daughter's hair has been a very important part of maintaining her daughter's cultural connections. She writes at A Woman's Work.

She would admire that you have thought of this concern.

Someone else was given this advice when considering adoption: take a bag of jelly beans and coordinate your colors (blue-african american, red-american indian/hispanic, yellow-asian, white-caucasion, etc., etc.,). For all the contacts you have in your life, drop a coordinating jelly bean into a jar. For instance, if your minister is black, drop in a blue j-bean. After you've gone through your neighborhood, teachers, friends, etc., you should try to focus on the majority of the beans. That's why Mr. DD and I could never look at an Ethiopian adoption as our community is predominately white, with hispanic as a far second. There's only a handfull of black families within the entire community and not one within the school system.

Make sense? Sorry for the long commnet, but I'm glad you are thinking of these things. They are more important than most people realize.

Peeved Michelle said...

Jodi, we go to Wok N South, a small chain in Ventura County. It isn't the greatest, but it isn't as bad as Great Khan in the mall.