Friday, July 16, 2004

Dreams

I woke up this morning at about 2:00 in a panic and full of such despair... At the time, I remembered the dream I was having, although now in the light of day, I can only remember two distinct features... 
  1. My sister was alive.  Not only was she alive, but she was pregnant.
  2. My father was leaving.  This piece is a bit fuzzier actually.  I remember he was leaving and I was in the driveway of my parents' house screaming Don't take my daddy! Then falling in a slump on the oil stained driveway.  That's when I woke up.

There was much more back story before all this, but I can't remember it.  Only the sister and my father. 

Dreammoods.com tells me:

To see your dead sibling, relative, or friend alive in your dream, indicates that you miss them and are trying to relive your old experiences you had with them. In trying to keep up with the pace of your daily waking life, you dreams may serve as your only outlet in coping and coming to terms with the loss of a loved one. 

Dreaming that someone has been kidnapped indicates that you are not letting aspects and characteristics of that person be expressed within you. You are trying to contain and/or suppress those qualities of the kidnapped person

Seeing your father in your dream, symbolizes authority and protection. It suggests that you need to be more self-reliant.

To see an oil spill in your dream, suggests that you are in emotional turmoil. You are experiencing problems and distress in your personal relationships.

To dream that you are wearing a cloak, signifies the need for security, warmth and the feeling of being well protected. It may also mean that you are trying to cover-up or hide something.

So if we piece this all together... Well... I don't know what exactly it all means.  Do I miss my sister?  We weren't close, so I don't know.  Christmas 2001 was the last year I saw her before she died in 2002.  Prior to Thanksgiving 2001,  I hadn't spoken to her in like 2 years.  Not because of any rift or anything, but with the 10 year age difference and the vast life experience differences, it was difficult to talk to her.  She was much closer to my younger sister who went through some similar life experiences.  I am also not sure what aspects of my father I may be supressing... He and I are actually remarkably alike, very laid back and easy going.  I am probably more maybe compassionate is the word I want.  He is an almost 70 year old Republican.  He remembers the 40's and is a pick yourself up by your bootstraps kind of guy.  Security and self reliance... that I'll almost buy.  It is a wee bit stressful to think that when it comes right down to it, all I have is me.  I didn't think I was feeling any emotional turmoil.  Things have been pretty good lately.  I think I'll chalk up this odd dream to drunkenness and the downer feeling usually brought on by that.

1 comment:

Peeved Michelle said...

My Interpretation:

In connection with the other elements in your dream, maybe you miss something about a particular point in time when your sister was alive, or perhaps you want something in your life that she had in her life. Certainly it isn't her asshat husband but maybe you are thinking more about a family and children, etc. Maybe this desire is also represented by seeing your father kidnapped in your dream which is supposed to represent you suppressing characteristics of his in yourself. In deciding to go to grad school and making all these self-improvements and adjustments in lifestyle in the past year, you are behaving in a way that you perceive to be more adult and I know for a fact that is something you are resistant to. Your father also symbolizes security and warmth, as does the cloak, so that seems to be something you are ultimately seeking.

Alternately, you said you and your father are remarkably alike. Perhaps, as you begin to make these changes in your life that you perceive to be part of growing up and growing older, you are resistance to becoming more like him because you don't want your life to end up as his has.

Alternately, I am full of crap with no idea what the hell I am talking about and just trying to kill some time before I can reasonably and justifiably blow off the rest of the afternoon at work and go home.