Sunday, January 16, 2005

Recommendations for a Sunday Afternoon

Recommendation #1

Yesterday I field tripped to the library. None of my favorite authors has anything new out that I haven't read so I just wandered up and down the aisles pulling books that had interesting titles. Yes, I obviously do judge a book by its cover. :) Today I started reading a book called Dear Stranger Dearest Friend. I started it probably at about 6ish this morning and am almost done. It is so gripping. It is the tale of 2 friends as told through emails back and forth to each other. It is chick-lit but very grownuppy chick lit (they're married with kids as opposed to 'oh woe is me I'm single and will die alone or until the hot handyman* moves in next door'). I've cried several times while reading it (I know, I've made it abundently clear I'm a ridiculous sap). Rather than go into book report mode, I'll just say I highly recommend it.

* Completely unrelated, when I typed in hot handyman it made me crack myself up. When I was in college we had an RA who apparently would role play with her boyfriend and he was 'the handyman.' We heard all about this from her suitemate one day who was rather disgusted by the whole thing. After that, I really couldn't look at either the RA or her boyfriend the same way again. I think I was like 18 or 19 at the time (and still a virgin at the time, serious TMI I know).

Recommendation #2

This afternoon I went with my coworker to see In Good Company. It is a very very good movie. I liked that it was more about Topher & Dennis's relationship than about Topher and Scarlett Johansen's. It also made me a bit weepy in a couple of scenes and I really liked that the ending wasn't completely pat. Not everything works out in a perfect little package tied with a neat ribbon. As I watched I was trying to decide if I thought Scarlett was pretty or not. I still don't know. Her features individually are slightly weird.

It apparently has been a hundred years since I bought a popcorn and coke at the movies. We, my friend and I, got a 'combo deal.' It didn't look like too much. In the picture, the cups were larger than the popcorn bucket and a normal amount. In real life, the popcorn bucket was ginormous, as were the cokes. All this for $12.00. TWELVE DOLLARS! It was actually rather alarming to us both. In the future, we know to go smaller in size since we ate less than a quarter of the bucket, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

4 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

I went to Amazon and read the description of that book. It seems a bit heavy for me right now. I have too many weighty things on my mind. Also, I am reminded of my favorite Tori Amos lyric: "What's so amazing about really deep thoughts?"

Joanne said...

I always liked the next line of that song..."Boy you best pray that I bleed real soon, how's that thought for ya?"

Stephen said...

That's why I go to the Crest in north Seattle [or the Admiral in West Seattle] and pay only $3 for all shows. That extra 50 cents allows me to increase the drink and popcorn to gut-bomb size.

Haven't seen In Good Company. Is it lighter than Closer?

Joanne said...

Having never seen closer, but having laughed my ass off during In Good Company, I'd have to say yes. It was very touching but definitely funny parts. My friend & I are not drivers (I can drive but don't own a car, she grew up in Hawaii and never had to learn), so it is a bigger pain in the ass to travel for things like movies.