Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Christmas shopping already?

My mom recently requested my Christmas list. This is always difficult for me because I'm usually one of those people who just buys what she wants when she wants it. However, this year I've come up with a pretty good list of suggestions of things that I like. With links. I just emailed it off to her. This is always a trouble for me because she never looks at the list. She asks for it. I provide it and then she buys what she thinks accommodates the list. Two years ago, on the list was a movie. She bought me a hat with the movie's name on it. From a yard sale. This is what I deal with. It isn't that I'm greedy. (Ok maybe I am, but not really). It's just that if you're going to ask me for a list, I'm going to give it to you. There are things of varying prices on the list. I have an Amazon wishlist that's always updated. I even tell her where I like to shop so gift cards would work. So it isn't like I said I want that 5,000 dollar digital camera and nothing else. I want this to be as easy as possible because I hate it when she sends me crap that I just have to either store or get rid of.

5 comments:

SJ said...

Dude I have the same problem, that's why I only ever get money for Xmas and birthdays now.

... said...

My mom just asked me the other day what I want for Christmas too. I told her that I have plenty of things on my amazon wishlist...but she said, no just send me what you want...like I feel comfortable just saying "Okay Mom, buy me this or nothing."...I don't think so.

If I have to work to figure out what everyone would like for Christmas, then they all have to as well.

Oh, and there is talk of "just not doing Christmas this year" because everyone is broke...well then make something...that is what I do when I don't have money for gifts...which explains what half the gifts people are getting this year are.

By the way, your mom is hilarious...how she could make the connection to just get you the hat from a yard sale no less is just perfect...

Joanne said...

I tell my family no list no presents. Too bad for them.

I would SOOO rather skip presents. Or just donate to charities. But that never goes well.

The unintended effect of the list I sent, I then had to reassure her about 15 times that I wasn't expecting (or asking for) EVERYTHING on the list. That it was just some ideas of things I would like to make her shopping easier.

Peeved Michelle said...

This year everyone is getting presents shipped from Amazon or gift cards.

Unknown said...

Elliot doesn't do seasonal gifts. I love it. My friends and family get gifts if I happen to see something that I think is perfect for them, but then that can happen at any point, not just holidays or birthdays or whatnot. If I don't find something, though, they get nothing. Or maybe a card.

Although every year for the last several I buy booze for my mom. Mom's developed quite a taste for liquor lately, and Xmas is more fun when we're loaded.