Sunday, October 23, 2005

Movies

I went to see Inlaws & Outlaws again this afternoon. It is playing as part of Matty's film festival. Second time I've seen it, and second time I've cried. It really is so good. I hope they can find a distributor so that it could go out into the regular world. The best part, I got to meet one of the people in the film. The little old man who loses his partner of 50 years was in the audience, as were several of the other people. The little old man was talking to 2 friends as we were walking out and he said he was amazed how people respond to him when they see him. So I paused and said that his story was my favorite part and that the 2 times I've seen it I bawl like a baby. Fifty years with the same partner, can you imagine it? I can't.

During the film, they had sign language interpreters off to one side for the 4 people on that side who were hearing impaired. I spent much of the film watching them. A lot of the film is just people sitting and talking so it wasn't like I was missing a big car chase scene, and the interpreters were just fascinating. Their facial and body gestures really conveyed the whole story so well. I was amazed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Joanne, he didn't lose his partner after 50 years. That would be careless. His partner died.