Sunday, April 04, 2010

A Hippie Chick arrives in Dallas

I made it to Dallas in one piece and relatively unscathed. Spent most of yesterday afternoon settling into the apartment and helping the nephew and my dad bring in some things for me. I now have a washer and a dryer of my own. Whee. (And in the great tradition of doing laundry on Sunday mornings, there is a load in both the washer and the dryer right now. :) )

My apartment is GLORIOUS. I'm really excited to be here. The bedroom is HUGE. My tiny air mattress and the small dresser I asked for from my folks look like children's furniture. I have a nice little balcony. I'm going to get a chair at some point and put it out there so I can sit on the balcony and read. I think I'm going to try my hand at container gardening again. I liked doing that in CA.

I slept terribly last night though. The air mattress is NOT comfortable and it needed more air sometime in the night. BUT when I get a real bed it will be much better. I also got surprisingly cold last night. I think partially it is due to the air mattress so if the Super Walmart is open today I'm going to head there and get an extra blanket. :)

I haven't quite figured out how I feel about all this. It is still kind of surreal. People are freakishly friendly here, though. Like beyond anything I'm used to. My leasing person hugged me for goodness sake. I don't hug people. I also met my downstairs neighbor and a woman who lives in a nearby building. My sister ordered me flowers (isn't that awesome!) and the across the building neighbor received them for me.

There are definitely aspects of TX that remind me of Arizona. There are doves cooing (is that what doves do?) outside and I remember them from growing up in AZ. We'll see. With any luck I've got a long time to figure it out. :) One thing I did see that made me think that I wasn't in Kansas anymore... a bumper sticker on a truck "Visualize no Liberals" I'm sure that will go nicely with my equal rights bumper sticker and whatever else I put on my hatchback.

3 comments:

Cat said...

Woohoo for getting there in one piece! I think I would have freaked out if my leasing person hugged me. Gah. Strangers! Touching me! Personal bubble! PERSONAL BUBBLE!

Hey you know who lives in Dallas? Carissa (carissabyers.com - also a blogger, did the photos at my wedding) she just bought a house and moved last week. I am not sure if you know her from the blog scene, but she's there if you do!

blaugra said...

Whoo hoo! I was just thinking, "when does Joanne move?" congrats!
My air mattress always needs air in the middle of the night when I realize I'm pretty much sleeping on the floor.

Jodi said...

I admire your courage to make such a big move. It's a very different place, but I'm sure you will adjust just fine. Good luck and have fun!