Sunday, June 30, 2013

A $400 lesson

Two weeks ago I put an offer in on a house. It was a nice enough house, small. In a location I had no desire to live in. On paper, though, it was perfect. It had a newer roof, heater and water heater. It had nice floors throughout. It was weirdly laid out with the laundry room in the living room. But it was in my price range and it was the size I wanted and because I felt like every time I was turning down a house I was being picky or ridiculous I put an offer in on it. And I immediately felt regret. That night I tossed and turned and couldn't sleep because I wanted to back out. I wanted to back out desperately.

The next day I got a call from my realtor and here was my out, they wanted to split the difference between the house price and my offer. I could have backed away there but I kept thinking that I could make this house my house. I kept thinking this might be as good as I can get. I kept thinking I should settle even though I don't love the location at all (ok I hate it) and I didn't like the kitchen or the weird layout. So I agreed to the price change.

I scheduled the inspection and actually attended the inspection because I was curious. It needed a new AC unit and there were some wiring issues that would have to be fixed. Nothing big enough to warrant me backing out completely even though I kept thinking "please let there be something that will let me back out of this deal."  So we put it back to the seller to fix a few issues and I was hoping the seller would balk. He didn't. But on the last day of my 7 day option period I pulled out. It wasn't my house. I didn't love it. I liked it, but I didn't love it.

After I pulled out I started second guessing that decision. I still don't know if I made the right decision. I think I did. But I keep thinking if it had been the right decision in the first place I wouldn't be having near panic attacks at the thought of it. Or maybe I would. I didn't have a panic attack about the house I lost. That one I knew was the one I wanted. The worst part is that now I have to wait a few months before I can house shop again. We're entering our busiest time at work and I'm going to need all my free time to work more so no house hunting until February. Hopefully by then one I will love will be out there waiting for me. Or maybe I'll move to Wyoming. :)

No comments: