Monday, May 23, 2011

Introvert is not a 4 letter word

I got turned down for a job today.  One that I think I actually wanted. It had a lot of potential to be interesting and different than what I do since it had generalist roles incorporated into the benefits roles. The few people I met seemed super nice.  The company is in the process of "turning HR around" from being unapproachable and mean to open and fun. They said all the right things and I thought, well I didn't necessarily think I said all the right things but one of my interview failings is that I don't try to hide who I really am.  I answer the questions asked essentially the same way I would answer them if Michelle were asking me the question.  Well according to the recruiter I was working with I knocked it out of the park. I reassured her on the 401(k) stuff. I answered everything right... until.  When asked the question "how do you unwind or destress" I said something to the effect of "I go home and veg out mostly. Working in HR you have to be "on" all the time and since I'm essentially an introvert I like to spend my after work time relaxing and being quiet."  Something like that.  Apparently they don't want an "introvert."  Keep in mind, I've charmed 4 people in the interview until this point so clearly I have social skills and the ability to talk to people.  I even mentioned that working in HR for the past 11 years, I know what it takes but during my down time I like it to be just me.  I'd feel sad about the loss of this job since I think I did want it, but I find myself so annoyed by this "no introverts" attitude that I'm fine with it.  I am seriously sick of job hunting though. I may have to take a little break.  

3 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

I don't think it is an interview failing to be yourself. For me, the most important aspect of a job is fit. Will I fit in with the team and the company? I can ask questions that will try to let me know that, but the only way they are going to know if I will fit is for me to be myself in the interview. Maybe, a slightly less sarcastic version of myself. Slightly.

You're right about this maybe not being a place you want to work. If one tiny thing is a dealbreaker in an interview, how many nit-picky things like that would you be subjected to in your daily work?

... said...

I too think that perhaps this was a good thing in disguise...it sucks getting turned down though. I have been looking for work for the last couple of months and I am amazed at how many companies don't even let you know that you are not being considered for an interview even...just a little email is all I ask...but no...and with some of them taking MONTHS to hire, it is hard to know if I should just keep looking when I don't hear anything for 30 days or not...haha.

Anonymous said...

Interestingly, I dont really consider you an introvert. You're pursuing a advanced degree, volunteer your free time for various organizations, and on weekends explore the new city you live in. Plus, you enjoy traveling, vacationing, and hosting friends and family in your new home. They should have hired you because you are smart, good at what you do, and would have turned HR around for them.-kate