Friday, June 03, 2011

Because I'm pissy

I'm going to slam on Netflix and search engines. (And maybe blogger for continuing to add a random space at the top of this post even though I keep deleting it!)

So I have netflix and one of the reasons I wanted an xbox was so that I could watch movies instantly through netflix.  This would be fine and dandy (and to be fair I've watched a lot of tv shows via netflix which I enjoy) except the movies that are released don't get to "watch instantly status for fucking ever.  Black Swan, released in March - not on Watch Instantly.  Love and Other Drugs - released March 1, not on Watch Instantly yet. Takers - released in January is being advertised as a "new Arrival." (I have no interest in Takers, I'm making a point)   Are you freaking kidding me?  I can walk up to Redbox and get I am Number 4 (which i want to see) and get it tonight (except that means putting on clothes and driving to the store see how lazy trumps self righteous indignation).  AND they've changed their policy so that I can't even click on get the disk (to get it mailed to me) because they're trying to force us to use the "watch instantly" feature.  I would if they had what I wanted to watch dammit!

Unrelated to Netflix, when I play my exercise game on xbox it just shows me as my shape but in red (heat sensor actually) and it cracked me up when the cat walked around my legs, as he is wont to do when I don't want him there, and the scanner picked up his shape.

What else was I going to be pissy about... oh I typed in www.blogger.com into my toolbar.  This is a legitimate site that I've used a number of times (obviously) and yet somehow yahoo search decided I did something wrong and it came up as a search result.  That also annoyed me.

Oh back on netflix... I hate how 99% of their "New arrivals: Movies" are not new arrivals at all.  Well MAYBE they are movies that are newly released (and obviously not NEWLY released since one of their "new arrivals" is from January) on DVD.  I want a list of real new releases not stupid shit like white chicks and dane cook and a bunch of movies nobody has ever heard of.  This forces me to go to another website to see if I can actually find a list of new releases (strangely difficult actually thanks to televisionwithoutpity I can actually find a list because each week they do a blog about what's new on DVD) and then search for whatever movie I want to see.  They're just pissing me off tonight.

1 comment:

... said...

I have been using Netflix for ages and only recently started using the Watch Instantly (because I am back in the US and it is available to me). I don't watch it through my DVD player much because Sony sucks, (an entire new post just on that), so I watch it either on my laptop or through my Wii (which works great).

Note that the Instant Watch (in the 9 months that I have been using it) has NEVER had a newly released to DVD movie on it. And I think their reference to "new" when it comes to Instant Watch is just that...new to Instant Watch. Generally if I want to see a movie that recently came out on DVD, I get it by mail. I use the Instant Watch to watch some TV shows that have been out for a while and older movies. I use On Demand (on cable) to watch new TV shows as they have picked up most of the ones I like at this point.

I don't think that Netflix will ever have Instant Watch of the newest movies on DVD, because sending DVDs is a way to slow things down...if everyone only did the 7.99 deal for Instant Watch, they would never get anyone to do the DVD at home option which costs much more. I also decided not to do the BluRay option with them because I don't want to pay 4 bucks more a month for the one or two titles they have on BluRay at this point. It is not worth my money.