Sunday, June 10, 2012

Girl toys vs Boy toys

One of my favorite little girls has a birthday this month. Usually I just go to her Amazon wishlist and pick out something her mom has already decided she needs/wants. Since I was in Target this morning I decided to just shop for her myself. The children's section of Target could not be more divided between pink and blue. In fact, all toys, except the baby toys, are pretty much separated into a blue aisle or a pink aisle. Was it like this when I was a kid? I don't remember. I know we didn't have zwinkies or littlest pet shop or the ubiquitous Disney princesses and faeries everywhere. Even the "gender neutral" toys like duplo blocks are now color coded so we know what to buy for the kids. Duplo blocks used to be red, yellow, blue and green. You can still get that, but you can also get pink, lavender, white with castle pieces. Do boys not like to build castles? My youngest niece is 13 years older than the littlest chick I'm buying presents for. Has so much changed in 13 years? Is my house of worship to blame for the princessification of the world? It's puzzling and disturbing.

So I bought her something I liked the look of. At 3 she may be too old for it? I don't know. I like it and if she hates it (which she's 3 they aren't really THAT opinionated on toys are they at that age?) her mom can return it to Target. :)

2 comments:

Lyndsy said...

I bought a friend's daughter a dump truck for her 1st birthday I think. She's 5 and both her younger brother and sister still play with it.

Being gender-coded can suck it.

Lyndsy said...

I bought a friend's daughter a dump truck for her 1st birthday I think. She's 5 and both her younger brother and sister still play with it.

Being gender-coded can suck it.