So these are the supplies. I had to buy wire coat hangers because I didn't have any and because apparently I never go to the dry cleaners. The fine craft wire and the little glass things I bought at Michaels. I had the wire thingie but I didn't actually use it.
Step one was to straighten out the wire. The cat decided the wire was something fun so we had to take a break for a few minutes to play.
I did my first bend following the pictures on the website. I wanted to make a dragonfly because I love them. See, it is taking shape! A wing!
Look, it is working so far! I have two wings and a head! I also have the picture up on my Kindle Fire so I could follow along.
Well, it starts to fall apart around here. I couldn't bend the 2nd wings the way they needed to go. Seriously. Not in the least. I could not bend them with my thumbs. I tried and tried until they were numb. I could not bend them with a plier. To say I succeeded would make me a liar. But, hey this looks kind of cool right? No. No it doesn't. So I straightened it out and started over again.
So I went back to the drawing board and just did a simple spiral flower. This I could do. This worked well. I also had a needle nose pair of pliers to help me out with the little bend. (Completely related, as I type this my right thumb is numb with pain and discomfort since the wire bending is HARD)
Next step is to decorate with decorative wire. I also included some small beads.
So here's the completed flower with the red decorative wire and little beads wrapped in. Not hideous.
I had an extra little part that I wrapped with green decorative wire and then glued to the stem. Gluing wasn't part of the project but it was necessary to make the leaf hold.
And then I stuck it outside in my flower pot. I think it looks pretty. It was difficult to do and seriously my thumb hurts. A lot. I have enough hangers to do a lot more if I wanted to. I think I'll use them to hang up some clothes or something. Maybe jackets in the closet.