Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I don't wanna move!

Over the weekend I received that notice that any renting tenant fears... the rent increase. Apparently my rent is going up $200 in December. You read that right... $200/mo the month Christmas falls in. My rent now will be $1,050/mo. Once upon a time I would have flipped out at the thought of paying all that... now I'm thinking, well, it's still cheaper than some of the places in my area and I hate moving so whatever. (Really, a cursory survey of the rents to stay in my general vacinity... that's about average. Now is my older building worth that... hard to say. I'm leaning towards no, but moving costs and I don't have the money or time to do it... ) However this does mean I'm rethinking my original 4 year plan. And I'm rethinking my stubborn obstinance about living where I do. I'm not moving right away, that's true, however once the ferrets die (I know morbid to think about) I think that may be the catalyst to get me to move. I don't want to move while I have pets because of all the pet problems one has when moving, especially when one has an odd or uncommon pet. If I get a cat, that's a bit different. Almost every place takes cats and I won't get a dog while I live in an apartment. I know plenty of people that have them, and I'm not judging, but for me a dog in an apartment isn't right. (And a part of that is definitely the walk multiple times a day/pick up warm poop factor. I'll fully admit that.) But I've totally digressed... I don't want to move. My original thought when moving into this building was that I'll live here until I buy a place or get married, whichever comes first. And now that I've had my 2nd rent increase in a year, clearly I may have to change my views. HOWEVER, I really am going to have to face that even on my relatively modest salary (I think I'm finally middle class, but I suspect middle class has jumped. ;) ) I'm not going to be able to afford to live where I want to. Well, I take that back... I CAN afford the additional 200/mo. I just don't want to. Not on the current place I'm renting. But, there are certain intangibles that are hard to deny that make my apartment relatively appealing. Please check out the map...

My apartment is the star.
My employer is the big blue rectangle. That's less than 1/2 mile away.
My doctor's office is the yellow dot.
The green one is my grocery store and my current favorite taco place.
The periwinkle one is my old favorite taco place and the purple one is the bar I used to hang out in. How do you argue with that kind of convenience??

7 comments:

Stephen said...

If you are willing, you can move towards the central district (including owning a house/townhome/condo). You can also move across 15th. Slightly longer walk, but quieter environment and probably more pet friendly.

I'll help you move whenever it happens.

Anonymous said...

I'll see you tonight.

-Your Stalker

Kate the Peon said...

I fully understand the PITA that is moving. But if other places in your area cost about the same, but your current building isn't worth it, then why not find a place nearby that IS worth it? If you're going to pay about the same, then once you're over the moving hurdle, you're better off.

Joanne said...

Oh no stalker! Don't come stalking me! Really. I have nothing you want. Honestly. Really. Did I say really?

Anonymous said...

I'm coming for the ferrets! And all the Disney crap!

-Stalker

... said...

I would move...if you can find a place about the same in price with better stuff....you can get new dots where ever you end up...you are in a city, believe me, I have moved more times than I care to think about.

Unknown said...

I agree with Mishka - just get new dots! ;) I love that!