Monday, April 07, 2008

You go Yahoo!

Yahoo is still fighting off the unwelcome advances of the Evil Empire. I'm hoping they'll win, but I have the feeling they can't last forever. I don't like the combination of the two because while I grudgingly use Microsoft products (like I have a choice? (Ok I do have a choice. I could run a mac or linux or whatever blah blah blah but really the choice is pretty limited)) I don't love most Microsoft products. I stopped using their hotmail a long time ago (with the exception of a few college friends who still email me there). (Ok full disclosure - I do like some of their computer games like Age of Empires and I think Zoo Tycoon might be theirs. (OMG! I almost misspelled that there's!) and I do play games on MSN more than I do on Yahoo). Anyway I've totally digressed and what I really want to say is that I love Launch and Yahoo's Email and I don't want them to become Microsofted. Also Microsoft's search SUCKS and that's all I have to say about that. Keep fighting Yahoo!

5 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

Search is the main reason they are looking to buy Yahoo! so I don't think you have worry about the search function of Yahoo! getting worse.

I would be sad for Flickr to get messed up.

Joanne said...

Ooh. I KNEW there was some other Yahoo product I didn't want to see get messed up.

Stephen said...

This is actually much worse for Microsoft than Yahoo. Yahoo will get a tremendous cash infusion, and a more substantial and capable marketing force. Unfortunately for Microsoft, it will mean further diluting the workforce focus, destroying the credibility of the search/internet teams, and IMHO destroy the original technical culture. You do realize that if MS doesn't buy Yahoo, a pure marketing or investment capital firm will likely buy Yahoo and gut the company completely.

Anyway, I think the whole thing is a colossally terrible idea, and the great white whale of Ballmer. But whatever... times change...

Peeved Michelle said...

Also, we are considering the Maven video platform for work but we are concerned about it's future since Yahoo! bought it, so we may go with a completely different company.

... said...

I use MS because I have to basically, although I do like their Office products. I will not step up to Vista if I can avoid it and I am waiting on IE7 for them to get some of the bugs out.

I love the new yahoo mail and flickr and would hate to see either of them changed due to a merger....

I use Google or Dogpile for searching so I don't know if the searching function would affect me. I can't stand MS searching.