Friday, November 21, 2003

So courtesy of myfriendmichelle, it has come to my attention that my nephew is 17 years old. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I'm sure I already knew this much like I know my niece is 13 and other random ages and dates that I need to know periodically, but this one has been rudely thrust into the foreground. And why was it thrust there, dear reader? She pointed out that some of her cousins are graduating high school this year. It dawned on me like a light going off... my nephew is graduating high school in June. HIGH SCHOOL! I remember my own graduation from high school. That wasn't THAT long ago. He was 6ish then. I remember when he was born, ok I don't actually remember that since I didn't know about it - long story, but I do remember meeting him when he was like 5 weeks old. He moved in with us shortly after that. I remember baking cookies with him. He, in his Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles apron, appropriately butch enough so his evil father wouldn't worry about me making a sissy out of him, and me in my frilly white one from my mom. I think he was like 2 or 3 at the time and he had to stand on a chair to help me. What else do I remember- him screaming at 3 AM, his little baby pool and him splashing around in it, taking him to parent & tot swimming lessons and he would scream until his lips turned blue from being cold and his unwillingness to move. I remember all this the way a regular parent looks back as his/her child is about to move on to a next phase of life. The kid will be old enough to vote, and more terrifying, old enough to be sent to war (actually given his Republican upbringing maybe I should be more worried about him voting.). He'll be going to college and hopefully have his eyes opened about how people are people and we shouldn't hate based on fears or stereotypes. He has learned that from his father. What does this have to do with 30 angst you are probably wondering? Everything! It is time marching on whether I want it to or not. Am I still going to be the cool aunt at 30? Will I suddenly find myself spouting Republican ideas? (ok probably I won't wake up on March 13, 2004 and spew forth the Republican party line) And finally, this definitely means I'm getting old and isn't that the crux of 30 angst?

No comments: