Sunday, October 07, 2007

3:10 to Yuma

I watched that movie last night... the new version not the 50's version. I don't know what I was expecting but I did like it. (Although I was weirdly distracted by the lack of saguaro cactuses in "Arizona". I grew up about 30 minutes from Bisbee and looking at a map, Contention (where they were going to) . We have saguaros. :) I think I liked it. Although it wasn't what I expected at all. I did require quite a bit of suspension of belief. But it is definitely a movie that has stuck in my head. I googled the original movie and then I ended up googling the story. Once I saw the cover of the original publication of the story, I realized why there was such a distinct 'honor among thieves' theme to the movie. I don't think I'm giving anything away with that. :)

Anytime I watch a western (which I weirdly love westerns) I always want to go riding. It's been years since I've been on a horse. I went once in college and prior to that I hadn't been on a horse since my childhood. I don't actually like horses, truthfully, but it takes me back really to my youth. And I can still remember riding from my hometown to Tombstone. So I think westerns remind me of that. AND since many westerns allegedly take place near where I grew up, I'm always on the look out for things I should recognize. That rarely happens, though. Although Unforgiven did film near where I grew up AND one of my students when I taught school was a kid extra in it.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I really enjoyed it too. Christian Bale just doesn't disappoint me and I even didn't mind Russell Crowe, who normally bugs me. I thought the son was great too. I went to a screening followed by a Q&A with the director and some other crew. I haven't watched the original, but he talked about some of the differences, including the expanded role of the son in the current version.