Wednesday, October 17, 2007

HELP!!!

I've been invited to go to the gala that my employer puts on every year. This is a black tie event. I've never been to a black tie event. What do I know about a black tie event?! I am excited to go but at the same time I'm freaking out a bit. I'm not fancypants. So I THINK this dress might work for a black tie affair. I bought it years ago, yet have never ever had an occasion to wear it. So it sadly hangs in my closet all sad. It is red and the stripey part is an overlay of that thin kind of material... I'm sure there's a word for it, I just don't know what it is. Of course I would be wearing industrial undergarments with it (which I'm NOT wearing in the pic) and I have a pair of black strappy sandals with a chunky heel and I would get a black wrap to wear with it. What do y'all think? Does this look potentially okay or should I field trip out to find a black tie type outfit??





6 comments:

DD said...

I think the dress is very pretty and quite flattering in color and cut. However, I have a feeling that you still may feel underdressed at an employer gala.

I think you should look for something with a little bling or satin or a combo of both. Otherwise, if you can find a similar dress to the red in black and dress it up with pearls and black hosiery, that would also be a great option.

Kate the Peon said...

I can't tell what type of material the dress is. That would make a difference - it should be dressy dress material.

Stephen said...

I'd agree with DD.

Red/pink is a good colour. I have ties/shirts to match both. So no worries.

I'd try to avoid pure black tho ~ it's very passe.

Anonymous said...

The skinny straps and material won't work. You need think straps that will cover a bra. Nice dresses on Norstrom.com. Get something black and then you can use it for years.
I really liked one called Alex Evenings Cap Sleeve Stretch Velvet Dress with Tie (In the plus size) for only 108.00. How fun- you can get your nails and hair done too!

Joanne said...

I own an industrial undergarment that doesn't have straps so that would not be a problem actually.

Anonymous said...

I agree that you might feel underdressed. Although satin is a very slinky and unforgiving material. It clings. Otherwise the dress looks cute and the color is great. Post a pic of the strappy sandals, so we can all see if they will be appropriate too.