Sunday, March 26, 2006

Hops Brewfest

Subtitled yet another post about why Joanne is going to end up single with 40 cats. Part 2 (or 3 or 4) of a series.

So this weekend was the spring equinox brewfest down at the Seattle Center. Since Isa and I were signed up to be volunteers tonight, we went last night to get in for free and get our 6 tastes. We got there around 8:30 and left at about 10:10. We had a few tastes, but she doesn't love beer and I can only have cider. I did get to try Wyder's raspberry cider which I had wanted to try in the past but never had. I like it but I think I like Pear and Apple better. But I digress, there weren't a lot of people there and all the boys were watching a basketball game on TV so we didn't get too much flirt on.

Tonight we headed down to do our shift. We do the little orientation and whatever and Isa and I get sent over to one section to do pouring. The guy at that section doesn't need us so we go back to the volunteer table. The volunteer chick struggles for a few minutes and then determines maybe we could go over and help out at the front door. But we need to wait about 10 minutes, so we wander around for a little while and then she introduces us to Joe, but he isn't ready yet, so we wander around some more. We're standing around, just people watching and whatever. This guy comes over to me and touches my arm and we talk about volunteering. He was just coming off shift and we talked about which shift was better to volunteer for and how I would have to put up with drunks. So rather than doing the smart thing like introducing myself and chatting with him, we just stand there awkwardly for a few minutes and then he leaves. Sigh. And he was my type too, and in a reasonable age bracket. So then we go over to help Joe but he doesn't really need us. We go back to volunteer lady and she has us go and take down signs outside but that takes all of 5 minutes and we're done so now what. She gives us each a beer cup and 6 more tickets and sends us on our merry way. We drink a couple of tastes and then leave because Isa is tired.

5 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

That's a little disappointing.

Robin said...

Joanne, Joanne, Joanne.....sigh.

Okay, so here is your opening line in these situations - "I'm a little shy, so I'm not very good at small talk...have you read any good books lately?"

This breaks the ice and lets him know that you're interested enough to make an effort at talking with him. Also, it puts some of the obligation back on him to carry his side of the conversation. Anyone who doesn't respond probably isn't worth bothering about.

Have you ever read Pride and Prejudice?

Anonymous said...

Hey, no way! I was at the beer fest, too. Weeeeirrrd. We might have totally seen each other and not even realized it! I was there about the same time.

Most of the beers I wanted were already gone, it was quite disappointing.

Peeved Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Hopeless.