Friday, August 10, 2007

Freaking out

The new person we hired to take my job starts on Monday. I'm freaking out. I don't know how to be a boss. I was a boss once. The whole thing was weird and it was while I was working at Girl Scout Camp. So I was the boss of two camp counselors. (One of whom was Michelle's sister who at the time I wanted to kick in the head. Now I like her, but before... whoa.) Plus now everything is on me. I don't want to talk to a salesperson, I still have to. Something goes wrong.. me. Bad news... me. All me. Sigh. I keep thinking I'm not ready for this. I've wanted this, don't get me wrong, but now that it is here I'm freaking out. FREAKING OUT I SAY! (I'm neurotic, y'all knew that right.)

The bottom line is that I'm afraid she'll be better than me.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

They wanted you for the job, not someone else. And if they didn't want you, they could have waited. They wanted you.

Remember you are not alone. It's more responsibility, but you have plenty of coworkers and friends for support.

You are an amazingly responsible and thoughtful person, and that's most important in HR.

*squishy hugs*

Kate the Peon said...

Oh, Anne with an e. I had this same freakout mere months ago. Stephen's right - they wanted you for a reason (okay, many). That means people have faith in you. No one will expect you to be perfect, but keep doing what you've been doing and you'll be fine.

And remember, though you're in a new role, she's NEW new, so it's doubtful she'll be better than you for some time. :)

Jodi said...

Good luck...I'm sure you'll be great!