Thursday, August 23, 2007

Towels

I went to dinner tonight with my friend Stephen. He had mentioned that he wanted to stop and get towels for his step-mother for her birthday. Sure I agreed. I thought getting towels translated to how I buy towels. Pick up a set or two and call it done. The last time I bought new towels it was Target and I think it took me like 15 minutes total. We clearly had a translation issue here. :) He mentioned Macy's and we were talking about other places to go and I foolishly suggested Target. Now for me Target towels are all I really need, but for others they aren't so great. (And after touching the 40 dollar towels at Macy's I may almost get it...). So Stephen ends up going through almost every towel there. He buys, I believe, 5 double sets of towels. (A set of towels for this purpose is 1 large bath towel, 1 hand towel and 1 - 2 washcloths so 5 double sets are 10 of each thing). Some he's planning on giving to his step mother. Then we head over to Macy's. (Now you have to keep in mind that the whole time in Target we're bickering like an old married couple. Seriously, though, if you saw the colors of towels he picked out... you would argue too. AND he kept looking at those toilet seat covers. You know the kind... terry cloth and fluffy)

So we go to Macy's where the process starts all over again. He picked up towels. Looked at them. Matched them with other towels. We started out in one area where they were on sale and at first those were the ones. Then he looked at others. He'd pick up one color and match it to another color and back and forth. So he'd have all these sets picked out and then he'd wander to another rack of towels and the process would start over again. I was so thrilled when we were finally done.

Tangentially related... since we were in Northgate and the Macy's is near my health food store, I got cookie dough! The good stuff! Yay!

3 comments:

Stephen said...

And they felt fabulous this morning when I showered :)

What can I say ~ I want a set of towels for every mood. Be glad I skipped the bedsheets ;)

Kate the Peon said...

Towels are like bedsheets for me: I think I'll be fine with the cheaper ones until I feel the really $$ ones. And then, since I'm a cheap bastard at heart, I buy the cheaper ones and hate them, knowing that there's so much better out there.

Peeved Michelle said...

We get the Charter Club towels at Macy's. They are always on sale.