Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Am I a wuss?

I'm having angst. The swimming class I take in the evenings is in a less than desirable neighborhood. On my way to catch the bus after class, I walk past at least 2 completely boarded up buildings and then some other questionable homes. (I say quesitonable because at least 1 has had an eviction notice attached to the door for the entire time I've been taking swimming class and and several others have windows broken out indicating they may or may not be housing people.) During the summer this didn't bother me in the least because it is still light outside at 7:15. Not so much anymore. Now it is darker (and progressively getting worse as we get into fall). Am I a wuss for not wanting to go past these homes at night? I walk in my own neighborhood late at night all the time with no issues. (Although in my neighborhood's defense no boarded up houses, but then again at least 2 halfway houses so...) There is a closer bus I could grab which would not force me to walk past the worst of it, although it comes later in the evening so I would be standing waiting longer. Or am I just being a wuss and looking for an excuse not to exercise? :)

5 comments:

P'nut said...

I'm with PM on this one. You can never be too cautious.

Chicken said...

I tend to follow my gut feeling in situations like that. If it sketches you out you should be careful or not go at all. Do you think that you would feel better if you got some pepper spray?

Robin said...

Surely there's a safer place to exercise?

Anonymous said...

Ditto PM, and ditto Chicken. Always follow your instincts.

... said...

If it makes you uncomfortable, don't do it. There is no point in terrifying yourself everyday. If you feel better waiting a bit longer at the other stop, then go for it...might be best in the long run.