Sunday, September 24, 2006

Wicked!

This weekend has been another volunteerfest for me.

Saturday was my college's Day of Caring where the new students participate in volunteering all across the city. This year, unlike previous years, we only did environmental activities. I signed up for neighborhood beautification. I was kind of under the impression that there would be a variety of activities for neighborhood clean-up. That is totally and completely not what happened. The guy from the agency didn't show up until we called him. He had no supplies. Luckily the student leader I was working with grabbed some before we left. Apparently we were picking up trash. Picking up trash from 4 blocks right next to campus. It was obnoxious and ridiculous and we were not thrilled. The guy from the agency left and so it really was just the 8 of us. In past years, people from the groups were there and participated and there were a lot of different activities. We were supposed to be working until 3:00, but honestly by 1:15 the students and I were tired of bending over and the futility of picking up cigarette butts in front of 3 local bars wore on us. We gave up. I told the coordinator from the college and she understood and totally didn't blame us for bailing very early. The students that participated, though, still like volunteering and we had a good time because we had good attitudes, but man it was disenheartening.

Today I volunteered to be an usher for Wicked. It was so good. I really enjoyed it a lot. I missed the opening song and had to come down just before the first act ended, but it was still a great show! I highly recommend it if it comes to your town.

And tonight... Pizza and I want to make a coffee cake! :) What a perfect and good weekend!

No comments: