Friday, December 15, 2006

Chicago is no longer the windy city. :)

Due to crazy winds and rain, the U was closed today. Apparently it, and 170,000 Seattle homes, are without power. Strangely this side of the hill had no power issues so Isa and I went to the movies and lunch. The downtown area was the place to be because it was very busy. I went and saw the Pursuit of Happyness. It was really really good. Rather inspiring and all that.

Yesterday walking home in the torrential rain was quite an adventure. We were both soaked within about 2 blocks of leaving the U. As we crossed one street we had to get into the water and that was ankle deep. By the time we hit Pike & Broadway, though, the water rushing down Pike was actually upper shin deep. Yeah, you couldn't see where the sidewalk ended and the street began. Ever so glad I wore my new shoes yesterday. I wonder if Nordstrom's does returns based on acts of G_d. Right as my shoes were drying out (one side of the street was MUCH dryer than the other) I ended up having to ford across another street. When I got to my apartment, I wrung the water out of my pants before I headed inside. I was so happy to get into my jammie bottoms and fuzzy socks.

Ooh, yesterday I got a nice surprise. One of my favorite faculty members who retired last year got me a gift card to our bookstore. It was so sweet of him. I helped him out a lot with his benefit stuff getting ready for retirement. He was so super nice and impressed about how much I know. It was a very nice feeling. He also talked nicely about me downstairs in the main office. I just wish my biggest boss or immediate boss heard him. (Actually biggest boss may have, I wasn't downstairs). :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't worry, we stil have plenty of our own wind. We're more than happy to loan it out to other cities every now and then! :)