Monday, November 06, 2006

Book reviews

(I sometimes wonder if there should be a catagory in the Super Fantastic Readng Group for book reviews for readers beyond the current book. But I digress)

I finished off 4 books in the past couple of weeks.

1 - Girl in the Tangerine Scarf. I loved this book. I thought it was very well written and engaging. I learned a lot about a subject I knew nothing about (devout Muslim religion). Even though I am not at all religious I could definitely feel a kinship with the main character. There's that feeling when you are expected to live or be a certain way and you aren't. That's a hard life to live. In her case it was religious based, in my case it was because I was the "good" one and the "smart" one. The only complaint I had was the back of the book made it seem like they left the small town after her friend's sister died and that was the reason she was afraid to go back to that town, when really it was much more complicated than that. All in all a GREAT book and I can't wait to read more by the author. (Although this is her first book so it could be awhile)

2 - Second Draft of My Life. This one was another one I really enjoyed. I think because the main character was a teacher who suffered through her first year of teaching. I could really relate to just how hard and frustrating that is. The only thing I didn't like was the way her relationship resolved quickly. It was like a 6 months later kind of thing or something. There was little build up that made you think that was possible. This was also by the same author that did The Answer is Yes which I loved.

3 - Buddha Baby. (I think I was checking out the international chick lit section at the library) I liked this one too. It was interesting and I think I especially enjoyed the delving into her family's personal life and history. I come from a long line of people who don't share information so I could understand her desire to know where she comes from but being stymied by her family's reluctance to talk about the past.

4 - A Wedding in December. I did not like this book. I did not finish this book. I'm not even linking to it because I don't want you to read it either. :)

2 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

I like the idea of another category on the reading group blog for random reviews. It would be a good way to get posts up in those stretches between books.

Peeved Michelle said...

Actually, I take that back. Since no one is posting about the books we are supposed to be reading, they probably wouldn't post about extra books either.