Monday, November 13, 2006

Politics

Ugh. GS politics are pissing me off. We need to have a cookie manager for the entire service unit. Nobody has said they are willing and able to do it. Without one, we cannot sell cookies this year. Without selling cookies, we can run no other fund raisers. My answer to that is fine, we won't sell this year and maybe next year one of the 30+ adults who belong to our service unit will figure out the importance. Apparently according to the council office this is not okay. We're the largest SU in the council. At first I couldn't figure out why we couldn't not sell cookies, but then it was explained to me in terms I could understand. If they were to lose our revenue this would be very bad. (We serve like 400 kids and if each of them sold an average of 50 boxes of cookies... you do the math since we only get 45 cents on a $4.00 box of cookies). Although they keep pushing me on the basis of 'don't punish the kids for their parents'. (Oh please. Like the girls LOVE to sell cookies?! The little ones might.) I understand the concept of not punishing the girls for the parents, but at the same time finding an outsider to do it for them just reinforces the leaders' and parents' bad behavior of not volunteering for stuff. And when next year comes around and nobody volunteers will they find us a person again? Pretty soon it becomes expected. 'We don't have to volunteer because someone else will do it for us.' This whole piece is just disgusting me.

5 comments:

... said...

If none of the parents can get off their asses and volunteer, then the cookies should be left unsold.

In fact, a nicely worded letter home to the parents to that effect, along with a list of the things the girls will miss out on without the funds that cookie selling brings in might just do the trick.

Good luck...but Jo, hear me now, you are not authorized to volunteer for this (cookie organizer)...no matter how much is sucks for the girls.

Joanne said...

Oh there's no way in hell I'm doing it. :) I have way too much going on as it is AND I don't own a car which would make this cost prohibitive for me.

Kate the Peon said...

"Not authorized?" Who does Mishka think s/he is, Peeved Michelle? :)

Peeved Michelle said...

Everybody likes to boss Joanne.

Robin said...

If Joanne decided to be cookie organizer, it would raise the same issue as an outside person doing it. Namely, that the parents would never get off their butts to do it because 'Joanne can take care of it.'