Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Story from the past...

Subtitled Small Town People are so Nice
Also subtitled How to really piss me off and not be my friend anymore

I think periodically when I think of them I'll tell a story from the past, probably more to remind me of them some time in the future...

Once upon a time I was a camp counselor in Prescott Az. I LOVE Prescott. If I were to ever consider moving back, I'd go there, except it is all old people anyway not really pertinent to the story. These details are... Prescott is 4 hours from Phoenix which is 4 hours from the town I grew up in. My best friend from high school was at Girl Scout camp in Peyson, about 2 hrs from Prescott but across the state so still about 4 hours from Phoenix and 4 hours from SV. On my last day at camp, I was supposed to pick up Jenny in Peyson and me, another counselor from my camp and she were all going to drive back, dropping Laura in Tucson then Jen & I would go back to SV. My parents had told me not to go to Peyson, but to pick up Jen in Phoenix. Yeah whatever. So we drive to Peyson and up a curvy windy mountain road where I discover that all the people from the Peyson camp had left. The day before. WTF? They had all gone to Phoenix the day before? I had not heard about this and since I was there to pick up Jen, this was a problem. So I do what any normal person would do, I called her mom. Who explained that Jenny called me (uh no, I would've gotten that message) and told me. Jen was back in SV already by that time. So a little pissy, I go back out to the truck and head down the hill. Apparently one of the bumps we hit did something bad to the truck because I had no electric in the car. No brake lights, no turn signals, no headlights and most importantly no way to turn the car back on once I turned it off. To get it going again to get down the mountain we (with the help of the camp host) push started it. So we are driving around Peyson on a Saturday afternoon (small town world, Sunday, the next day, is the kiss of death... there's nothing open) as it gets dark. With no headlights. We find a Texaco station that has a garage attached to it (closed of course) and without turning off the car we go in to see if they would be able to help us in the morning. Luckily they could. So we turn off the car and leave it and go to a restaurant to eat and figure out what to do next. Apparently something very exciting was going on in Peyson that weekend because there were no hotels open (ok there's 1 there I think) and the campground was full so now we don't know what to do. We had seen a park and wondered what really would happen if we were caught sleeping outdoors (we had all our camping gear) so we called the police and asked. Apparently they were less than sure about letting 2 19 year old girls sleep randomly in a park so they had us call back in 20 minutes while they work something out. We call back and they have arranged for us to sleep in the fellowship hall of their police chaplain's church. We get the camping gear and start walking towards the church and get picked up by a sherriff. Poor Laura had to ride in the back behind the mesh. They let us in the fellowship hall and we unroll the sleeping bags to go to sleep. I can't remember what time this was, probably around 9, but we were exhausted and kind of creeped out. The church was really quiet but had the normal bumps that happen in the night. We woke up the next morning and could hear the church ladies making coffee so we snuck out. Again, we were picked up by a sherriff's car that took us back to the Texaco station. They fixed the car and we were on our merry way several hours later. I get back to the home town, my parents are of course, pissed. And I don't hear from Jen. And I don't hear from Jen. And I don't hear from Jen. Finally 3 weeks have passed and I was already pissed and now I'm furious. (Anyone who really knows me knows how unusual for me this really is). I called her. She was leaving in like 3 hours to go back to college. She gives me some song and dance about how she sent me a letter and called me about it (both lies). I was too angry and we stopped talking shortly after I went back to college. I couldn't be her friend anymore after all that shit. I'm fairly forgiving, and if she had called and said that she forgot to let me know I would've been okay with it, but to not hear from her for 3 weeks, which I know is because she knew she was totally in the wrong, that was what set me over the edge.

1 comment:

Peeved Michelle said...

You were totally justified in cutting her out. How rude! I would never do that.

Bryan has a small town story like that. Somewhere in the middle of the country his car broke down and he had to wait for a part to come in so he ended up staying at the mechanics house and helping out in the shop for a couple days.