Sunday, June 26, 2005

In theory

So today I decided to make raspberry muffins. I wanted to have walnuts in them, but apparently I didn't have them. I also wanted to put a nice brown sugar crumble on top. Hm... I don't know how to do this, so I consult my mother who says butter and brown sugar. For future refrence when one asks this kind of question, ask for quantities. So I follow her vague instructions... mix butter and brown sugar and I sprinkle it on top of my muffins. Except I had too much crumble stuff so I kind of layered it on top of my muffins. And go about cooking dinner. While I'm cooking I'm starting to notice a wee bit of smoke coming out of the oven. Hm.. I check. The crumble has melted and dripped butter and brown sugar all over the oven. Hence the smoke. I open the window further, flip on the fan and close the dividing curtain between the kitchen and rest of apartment to avoid (hopefully) the smoke detector going off and put a cookie sheet under the muffin tin to hopefully catch the dripping, but alas it is too late. The butter & suger keep burning, eventually catching a small fire. :) I put it out with baking soda. Let it cook a little longer, while the smoke continues to build up. (I want them cooked dammit!) I take them out of the oven and let the smoke clear up with 2 minutes left to cook. Pop them back in to the oven to cook a little longer and finally they are done! After all that they had better be good!

8 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

Don't you have a cookbook? Also, that sounds more like a recipe for caramel than crumble.

Joanne said...

I do have a cookbook, but none of them had a recipe in them.

Joanne said...

Ahh yes, it does seem to be a recipe for caramel. I now have caramel raspberry muffins. They are cooked all the way through though and I'll find out tomorrow morning if they are yummy or not.

... said...

You must have some will power to make raspberry muffins and not eat one right after they come out of the oven...I always have to have a tester and if I don't, J does and then I feel left out and eat one too...haha

Joanne said...

If it is something I KNOW is going to be good, I'm all over it. These being an experiment in cooking, I wasn't sure so I didn't want to try them just yet.

Unknown said...

You almost burned down your apartment building over muffins. Suddenly I'm glad we aren't neighbors.

Joanne said...

Hahaha! It wasn't even close to almost burning down my apartment building. It was a very small fire contained in the oven only! Paranoid freak. I'm sure your neighbors are far more likely to burn down your building than I am to burn down mine.

Unknown said...

My building is made of kindling. Even a small, contained fire would make me nervous.

And my neighbors are certainly not more likely to burn down my apartment building than you would be if you happened to live in my building.

With the possible exception of the Andy Warhol-looking guy who takes a lot of drugs.