Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Pride Parade

On Sunday despite my best intentions to avoid all things Pride related (Margaret Cho notwithstanding, she wasn't billed as a Pride event - that's Gay Pride for those new to my world) I ended up at the Parade. V asked me if I was going and I hadn't seen him for awhile so I figured I'd go and join him and some of the other gays I haven't seen for awhile. Here are the sum of my thoughts on the parade...

1 - Three hours is TOO LONG for a local parade. I don't even think the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade lasts this long.
2 - Less politicians and the parade won't be 3 hours.
And 3 - Now that I've seen it once, I won't need to see it again.

But here are some pics I took:



This was one of the first things I saw as I walked to the parade. It amused me because my first thought was wow (and not a good wow), way to gouge the gays. I mean, 20 bucks to park?! Even Disneyland doesn't charge that much.




Presentation of the colors.


Pipers. Strangely enough I like bagpipe music. But everytime I see bagpipers I think of that scene in So I Married an Axe Murderer where there's a piper playing and the guy faints and the dad makes the announcement "There's a piper down, a piper down."

I like the Boeing Employees. I thought their little planes were cute.


Condom Statue of Liberty. I don't know why but I found this amusing.



The Seafair Pirates. They aren't necessarily the gays. And according to the guys in the chairs in front of me it was a big deal they were there. Like now the parade has 'made it.'


Synchronized book trucks. The library has a group that does this. I don't know why but it seems like fun. We never had that kind of fun when I worked at UAF's library. (Although we did have book truck races, hey we were 3 floors UNDERGROUND who knew we were down there?)


The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. They scare me a tiny bit, but they do good work in the community.


"Help me Obi Wan Penobi, you're my only hope."


Of the like 4 or 5 real floats there, I thought this one was the best. I especially liked the fireworks! :)

No comments: