Thursday, July 27, 2006

Aqua Jogging and other stuff

Last night I went to an aquajog class. It was my first time trying one of those water exercise classes. Usually I dodge them in favor of just lap swim but I thought why not? I need to exercise. I am rebooted so walking is becoming a don't do it again. I went to a nearby pool in the ghetto. There were 7 of us there: 2 fat chicks, 2 old chicks and 3 youngish what are they doing taking a class like this chicks. It was really fun! I bought a pre-paid punch thing so when I go back I just give them that. It'll force me to go back because I don't want to have wasted the money. It was really hard work too. I'm still feeling it in my shoulders and back. :) It was a directed thing which I liked, it wasn't like I was in the pool just bobbing along. I LOVED that little bouyancy belt that kept me upright. It was so cool to wear. They also offer a hydrofit class which I'm going to try next Tuesday. (That class is Tues & Thurs but tonight I have a Girl Scout thing). I'm finding out if my employer has those classes at the gym. It would be cheaper to go here than it is at the pool in the ghetto.

Which brings me to other stuff... At the risk of sounding like my father who is 70 and old and grumbly, when did going to the pool become so damn expensive? I don't just mean for my class (which is $4.75 a session. I can't decide if that is good or bad, but the one regular gym in my neighborhood that does have a pool doesn't offer hydrofit classes at all or else I'd join that which would be less. Ok I might not join that becuase it is 24 hour fitness and the one downtown is like the mecca of the gays, but I've digressed) I don't just mean for my class, but going swimming. At the pool in the ghetto, it is $2.75 for kids to go swimming. Now it is indoors and it does have a neat rope swing thing to jump in with, but it does not have a high dive. Growing up my mom could drop my sister and I off at the pool with $2.00 each and this paid for our entrance into the pool (.25 until we were like 12 then .50) and snacks during the 'adult swim' portion of the afternoon. Adult swim was this really really long time when the kids all had to be out of the pool and the grown ups got to swim laps. (Honestly it was like 15 minutes but when you're 10, that's a REALLY long time.) Interestingly enough now that my hometown has an indoor pool (blech) the rates are now $3.00 to get in for children. That's some kind of inflation. I realize we're speaking of a 20 (gulp) year time span, but that seems like quite the jump. (Ok I'll give in a tiny bit because the new facility apparently has waterslides.)

No comments: