Saturday, July 29, 2006

Picnic

Today I volunteered at the Big Brothers/Big Sisters annual picnic. I am exhausted. I caught the bus at 9:21 and got there by 10:00. I manned the arts & crafts station. Now at most places I've been, the kids get to keep their crafts, but for some reason the masks being decorated at this booth were being used for the fancy schmancy auction in October. So I kept having to tell the kids they weren't going to get to take them home and I tried to play up how cool it would be that their mask goes to a VIP and their artwork could end up in an office at like Starbucks or in someone's living room as decoration. That actually got them rather excited so that was good. Lunch was served by Panda Panda. I found it odd somehow that there was Chinese food at the picnic. I had a bit of chicken and string beans. It was okay (although given my rules about green food, I didn't eat the beans. :) ) After we ran out of masks to do, I ended up face painting. I have NO skill at face painting. :) But the kids seemed okay with what I did. I think if the supplies had been better I may not have done so poorly but the wands and make up crayons were hard to work with. It was fun, though. I like working with the kids. I don't think I'm currently at a place where I would want to be a big sister. I feel like it may be a larger commitment than I am ready for. (Plus I have a lot right now with the Scouts and my other stuff.) I like doing these one off things though. I may volunteer at their fancy schmancy auction in October, although I need a fancy schmancy dress. For some reason I thought Big Brothers/ Big Sisters were more for kids who didn't have that parent of that sex but one of my former Scouts was there and I know she has a mom. :) (And for what it is worth, some not unattractive guys volunteer as Big Brothers...) :)

I got done at 3:00 and then came home. I immediately went back out and joined Big R & Isa downtown. We ate at this BBQ place downtown that isn't as good as Jones and was also arctic. We wandered around downtown for a while. I gave my left over dinner to a homeless guy. We were supposed to go out to night (speak of the devil there's the ring) but I'm begging off. I'm exhausted. I've been up forever and although it would be fun to go out, I'm just so damn tired. (Oh who am I kidding... I'm changing see y'all later) :)

No comments: