Saturday, July 01, 2006

3 reviews - 2 good 1 bad

Isa and I went and watched The Devil Wears Prada yesterday after work. It was awesome. I laughed so hard through most of it. And there were sufficiently touching scenes too. I read the book and for the life of me I don't remember it. Glen Close was brilliant, as always. I loved the other admin assistant, Emily. And Anne Hathaway, I think, was a great blend of vulnerable and pluck. I was less fond of her boyfriend played by the guy with the wild dark hair from Entourage, but that's okay, he was a mostly minor character. (And it is entirely possible I just didn't like the character that much.)

I checked out from the library the book The Kid: What Happened After My Boyfriend and I Decided to Get Pregnant by Dan Savage. Dan Savage is a syndicated sex columnist whose column I've read periodically but sometimes the letters he gets freak me out. :) He wrote this book about the open adoption process that he and his significant other experienced. I started this book last night at 10:30 and finished at 2:30 AM. It was that good. I couldn't put it down. I laughed at a few parts. I cried at a few parts. I loved it and now I'm looking forward to one of his other books about gay marriage.

Finally, earlier this week I went and saw Superman Returns. I didn't like it. I was mostly bored. I didn't like Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. I called one of the plot points right off the bat. And I fundamentally cannot believe that the people he (Clark & Superman) are so incredibly stupid that they cannot put together Clark's 5 year absence and Superman's 5 year absence and not at least ask the question. I did, however, see it in the Cinerama which is quickly becoming my favorite theater. The seats are comfy and plush and rock.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Meryl Streep

I didn't like the boyfriend character either.

Jodi said...

I didn't like The Devil Wears Prada, but was happy that Adrian Grenier was in it. And I'm really looking forward to seeing Superman Returns on Tuesday. I hope I enjoy it!

Joanne said...

Ack! Meryl Streep. I can't believe I got that wrong on a movie I JUST watched! Ok. Meryl Streep was awesome as always too. :)