Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Disappointed in my state

I am disappointed in my state today. The Supreme Court of WA upheld the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). The Superior Court had previously ruled DOMA unconstitutional. From the Seattle times:

The couples based their claim to marriage on specific principles of constitutional law. Central to their claim was that the ban on same-sex marriage violates the state constitution's "privileges and immunities" clause, which requires that any privilege offered to one group be offered to all.
Those defending the law argued that the statute served a legitimate purpose in that the state has an interest in protecting children, and thus in the relationships that produce them.
But the couples called DOMA a scheme "that favors one class of children, not because of the way they were created but because of the identity of their parents."



I can't believe that the argument about children succeeded. I'm appalled that the perfectly rational and legal argument of the constitutionality based on the privileges and immunities clause failed in light of the histrionics of "Think of the children?" Thus far there is no evidence to support the argument that children need a parent of each gender. It is a sad day to me today.

2 comments:

... said...

I am disappointed in my state too.

honeynut22 said...

You're right there is too much evidence that shows children need a parent of each gender. Look at the way they're made:) Seriously, kids NEED dads and moms.