Tuesday, July 25, 2006

You're my obsession...

I currently have several things rattling around in my brain that I must divulge.

1 - I have been rebooted. I went back to my sports medicine guy and he gave me a new boot which is good. We are going to try to have me wear it for 6 weeks without doing the not wear it at work thing. That's okay but a little sad because it is freaking hot and it is freaking hot in the boot. I think I want to find a water aerobics class. Is that still done? I think I need to go to a class because that will force me to go regularly. I don't want to join a gym though because I can just go to my employer's gym for free, but they don't offer like water aerobics or anything like that.

2 - My computer at home is running slow. Any ideas? I'm no where near full of memory stuff. I ran the adware thing and the disk defragmenter.

3 - While swimming at the beach on Sunday I noticed an inordinate number of men on the dock sporting well... you know... :) Is this caused by a change in water temperature or an inability to control themselves around hot chicks in bikinis? Someone suggested it was just the way the bathing suits pooched out but sometimes the trunks weren't the sort that would allow you to believe that theory.

4 - I've been looking for new books to read since I'm going to the library today. I consulted Sprightly Chicks Read and Miska's book list and got some ideas but I also looked at Amazon.com's lists. Here's what I noticed. Many of the lists had mostly the same books on them. I can't decide if it is because those are Amazon employees and they are just spouting off the ones that are featured right now or if it is because I am looking at books that are similar and so the lists are all simliar. The problem is, though, that none of the lists deviate from their 'style.' If I were to do a list there would be a wide variety of books on there from Andrew Vachss who writes 'hard boiled' crime to chick lit by Jennifer Wiener and then the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I would think that other readers have a variety of reading choices and not just one genre. Of course, maybe they streamline their lists to appeal to a specific style, but the problem is I'm looking for something different than what I usually read. So to see a person who has multiple genres would be good I could think oh they liked Good in Bed AND they liked this other author, maybe I will too. So my question to you, dear readers, is what have you read recently that you loved?

4 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

It could be running slow because of the heat. If your apartment really gets too hot, you should shut down your computer. If it overheats, it could damage your disk.

Chicken said...

Try your local community center or parks and rec. They have pools all around the city (at least in Portland) and you can pay by the visit if you want.

PM is right about the heat. My computer was reacting to it. You could also use the program "Clean Up". It deletes the super hidden temporary files. If you do make sure that you take the "back up" file extension out of it's list.

I'm still reading my JD Salinger book so no suggestions here.

Joanne said...

Yeah. I found out that the pool up the street from my work (relatively I'll still have to take a bus there) has aqua classes each night. I'm going to try out Aqua Jog tonight. I may die. :)

Good to know about the heat. Sampson shut down randomly the other night because of over heating, but I assumed it was related to the fact that I had him on a pillow on my lap becuase he was just too damn hot on my lap directly. I'm going to get one of those fan things that Michelle recommended.

Unknown said...

I'm one of those who only really reads the same type of book. Those lists are made for me. :) Sorry, I don't have much to offer.

Though, not in my preferred genre, I do like all of the books by Alex Kotlowitz. They are social science, non-fiction type books. My favorite is There are No Children Here.