Sunday, July 02, 2006

Kubota Gardens

Today was my Sunday Adventure to Kubota Garden. It was totally beautiful! I really liked how centered (vaguely dirty hippie I realize) I feel after having gone. I had forgotten how much I love solitary Sunday Adventures. The bus ride was a bit long but totally uneventful. It only took about 1/2 hour from downtown. I had a picnic lunch. I explored the garden. I hiked up hill and down dale (wearing the boot thankyouverymuch.) I sat and read and I sat and wrote my postcards to my friend Kate in Vermont. (She wrote me a letter the other day and no longer has internet connection, so if I want to reply I have to put paper to pen. I thought the postcards would be fun.) It was a beautiful sunny day. It wasn't too hot in the gardens so that was nice.


Moon Bridge. According to the brochure, the moon bridge "symbolizes the difficulty of living a good life. 'Hard to get up and hard to get down.'" It was difficult to walk up, especially in the boot. I had to step twice to get it right becuase it is really steep. It was also very cool, though, so that makes me happy. :)


Big Rock. You can't see it (or barely can) but there are Japanese characters carved into the rock. According to the brochure, that is a brief history of the garden carved into the rock. I took a rubbing of some of the characters. Also very cool. :)


Pretty purple and pink flowers. I don't know what kind they are but I like 'em.



One of many waterfalls in the park. They were all tucked in and kind of hidden so you could hear them and just see them. They were really peaceful and cute. I sat and had lunch at the top of this one. It was just so nice.

I don't know what these flowers are either, but I really like them. They are purple and just sooo pretty.


Japanese Maple tree. I really really love these trees. I love how cool their trunks twist. I love the featheryness of their leaves. But most of all I love how their leaves and branches make little hidden places. Y'all know how I LOVE little hidden places. If I ever get my own back yard, I'm going to plant several of them and hold tea parties with my kids under them.


Dragonfly! There were 2 of these guys buzzing all around a pond. They were so pretty! Their bodies were an electric bluish (similar in color actually to my tattoo) and their wings were black tipped. It took me forever just to get this picture. I also annoyed a girl who was sitting behind me under a tree on a cell phone. She was clearly having a disagreement with someone or other. She eventually moved her conversation to another rock.


Finally, your intrepid explorer at the end of the day. I was hot and kind of tired but it was a good time. It was a lot of fun and I can't wait until my next Sunday Adventure.

3 comments:

... said...

Sounds awesome Jo...I will have to go there next time I am in Seattle. I know my sister would love it too.

Kate the Peon said...

It's ironic that the one on the phone in the garden would get annoyed by the one enjoying the garden. I hate people sometimes.

Jodi said...

Wow, that looks like an amazing way to spend a Sunday! (or any day!)