Thursday, February 08, 2007

Alternatives...

Michelle and I were discussing today alternate ways of meeting men for Joanne. (Ok, I think we actually talked about this yesterday but still...) She had been on the Freakonomics blog and it was mentioned that there are all sorts of niche dating websites. The blog was actually highlighting a farmer's dating site so they can meet a wife and then create farmer's daughters. One of the other sites the blog listed isn't actually a real site but it was basically for bigger gals. I googled plus sized singles sites to see what could appear and here's where my problem with niche sites starts. I like the idea of using a site like that becuase really it is easier to go that route than to go on a site like match.com where all the people (including the over 300 lb men) want "Slender or toned or athletic" chicks. The part that disturbs me, though, is how fetishized it can all be. And that disturbs me. One site was for "...and their Admirers FA's - (Fat Admirers) with thousands of personal ads currently listed here on our website." Something about that phrase just creeps me out. On another in a gentleman's intro he says "likes tattoos /piercings rockbilly gothic kinky fetish BBW WOMEN" which yes, clearly he's not someone I'd be into but the whole fetish concept just bugs the crap out of me. Is it a fetish if a guy wants a skinny chick? Or if he prefers an athletic chick? Or if he likes them curvy like J-lo? If he prefers large ta-tas... or smaller ta-tas? (I'm assuming y'all have answered rhetorically no to all of those) ... so why is liking a big chick a fetish? I think ultimately, even though I don't necessarily agree, the word fetish has an implied bias of 'not normal.' And that bugs me a lot.

So ultimately I'm going to try one of the alternate sites and see what happens. Can't hurt, right? (You know unless I can't even find a guy on a site that is supposed to be for gals like me...)

1 comment:

Robin said...

I feel the same way. Maybe there are some nice guys on the site, though. Best of luck.