Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Green Eyed Monster

I knew after Michelle told me she was pregnant that somewhere along the way I'd feel a pang of envy. It's normal. (Well at least I think it is normal.) She's got parts of her life that I hope to someday have. And I'll get there. I have no doubt about that. And I like my life, but you know once in a while... Grass is greener syndrome and all that.

But today I had a pang about something I hadn't anticipated having a pang about. Given that my plan is to adopt children, I'm never going to know the joy of picking out my child's very own name. I'm anticipating that they'll all come pre-named. Babies are few and far betweeen. And I don't have the money or the inclination really to pursue that rare commodity - the healthy white baby. So that leaves me taking in the pre-named children.

*Since we're 8 months since my last period, I'm fairly certain that the difficult if not impossible is on the brink of becoming impossible to have kids. There're two potential reasons for this... PCOS or early menopause. I haven't gone in to find out the final answer because really... what difference does it make. There's nothing a doc can do for either one really.

5 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

Actually, in Ventura County, they are in desperate need for foster and adoptive parents for babies, even more so than older children. If you adopt a baby, you can definitely change its name.

Kate the Peon said...

I hope it's normal, too, cuz I'm there with you (well, not about the baby stuff but similar situations). If you adopt a kid who's young enough, couldn't you change their name?

DD said...

You knew I had to weigh in on this one.

I agree completely with Michelle in regards to fos-adopt.

If you adopt internationally (and yes, some countries consider single women), you are not obligated to keep the name, even though many do as a tribute to the birth family.

But what I wanted to really point out is that you definitely could become pregnant, it's a matter of how far you're willing to go in treatments.

... said...

Jo- adopting is a great option, regardless of whether you can get pregnant or not. I would love to be a parent but really do not want to ever be pregnant...just don't for some reason. Adopting is an option for us...now, if we could just get around to it...

Joanne said...

PM Good to know about that. I never thought about it. I always figured the older kids are the ones harder to place.

KTP - If it were an baby I could change the name. If it were a toddler I wouldn't feel right.

DD - I feel that there are a lot of kids in the states who need homes so I would adopt locally. That's important to me. Also I feel that for me I don't want to do all that stuff just to get pregnant. I have no real desire to be pregnant. I have a desire to be a parent. Plus I know my genes are crappy... my celiac disease is a genetic disorder and I could pass it on. Or I could pass on a different genetic disorder. I don't want to do that.

Mishka - I agree with you actually, I don't really want to get pregnant. I haven't ever had that desire. I have a plan in place to look in about 3 years, depending on my financial status at that time.