Friday, February 02, 2007

Sometimes you don't want to know.

The lady from the management company called me back this morning. Apparently she got my letter confused with other people's. (Duh). So my total rent is now $825 plus $10 for my storage unit. That's an increase of $70/mo. That's kind of a lot. Unfortunately a random internet search reveals I'm still getting a deal. It is better I asked though, because I could just see not paying the extra $25/m0 and at some point them figuring it out and slapping me with fees and a big bill to pay back the back rent. Michelle pointed out I could show them their stupid letter as proof I was paying what I was told, but I still suspect that I couldn't fully get away with it. I'd definitely have to make up back rent probably.

Condos in my area are now all going for over $200k. There are new ones going up with 'rates in the low 300's'. I get the housing market is changing but honestly I want 4 walls and a few windows a bathroom and a bedroom. I don't need granite countertops or stainless steel appliances. All the condos going up anywhere near me are either conversions or "luxury" condos. I know this logic probably isn't logical, but I really hope all these luxury ones help drive the prices of old and boring ones down a bit. I hope none of the sellers end up under water, but other than that at the rate condo prices are going here, nobody will be able to buy one. What kind of single person pays $300 to $400k for a one bedroom or studio condo? I don't get it.

1 comment:

... said...

Sorry to hear that your rent is going up...my sister's in Portland is too...that sucks that they wait til just after the new year to hit everyone...