Saturday, May 08, 2004

Hair as a prison...

I am watching What not to wear on TLC. I was interested in this episode because the woman had hair down past her ass (about the same length I had mine the 1st time I cut it all off, not this past time). They kept showing these clips of her crying about making the decision to cut it all off. She did cut it all off to just past shoulder length with some layers in the front and she said the same thing I've said both times... it is so different feeling. She also said something I found interesting... that it was liberating to have it cut off. I can see her point. When you have hair THAT long, holding on to it is a source of pride. People always say something about it. It has taken you forever to get it to that length and you get to the point where you can't remember what it was like to have hair that wasn't that long. Prior to Feb (when I cut off all my hair and got a style and all that) I had pretty much the same hair since jr high. I know that for me, part of the reason I never cut it all off was that I had such a traumatic time when I cut my hair in the 5th grade. It had been especially long and my mom draged me to this place to get it all chopped off. All of it. Somewhere around here there's probably a pic of me but basically it had bangs, layered around the face and stopped at where my hairline is in the back of my head. I got teased by kids in school about whether or not I was a boy or a girl. It made me want to cry. After that, I vowed never to cut it agian. And I didn't for a very long time, but cutting it all off is liberating. This woman looks very good with her newly cut off hair. The hosts' reactions were amazing. They both screamed about how good she looked. She really did look so good... I think i'm a little weepy over this episode.

No comments: