Sunday, May 30, 2004

Northwest Folklife Festival & Sundays

Today was day 2 of my volunteering at the Northwest Folklife Festival. It is really fun and I like to do it. However, there are 2 things that I hate there... 1 - the random stoppers. I've already discussed this in relation to something else, but I really want to push them out of the way and say "oh I'm sorry... but you are randomly stopped in the middle of the walk way." Someday I may.
2 - More than random stoppers, I hate SOME parents. Not all parents. I would never say that... but you know the parents I am referring to... The ones who are pushy. Who push their kids to ridiculous levels. All we were doing at today's activities were stringing together beaded bracelets. So I had 1 mom making a big deal about how the little boy next to her kid was making a necklace, and they should be able to make a necklace too. I really wanted to say something to her about tattling. Instead, we had to not let the boy make a necklace. I had one dad gripe at me that the adults who were making bracelets were 'ruining his daughters' experience.' I am really not sure how they were doing that. I had another dad pushing for perfection... on a beaded bracelet. Something about these types of events brings out the worst in parents I think.

Sundays -

Sometimes I wonder where I live. When I lived in rural Indiana, crap closed either early on Sunday or didn't open at all. Here in downtown Seattle, one would think that things would be open later. Nope. So many places are closed by 7 PM (or earlier). WTF? I guess if I lived in Suburbia, I could find a place that serves dinner after 7.

2 comments:

Jodie said...

As a random stopper (although in Oklahoma), I apologize on behalf of all of us who simply zone out in the middle of things and don't realize we are impeding those around us. I had never realized my error until I dated someone for whom random stopping was a major irritant (needless to say, we are no longer dating). While I still do it (I think it is one of those personality things) at least now I feel apologetic when I realize I'm doing it.

TIMMY! said...

I hope random stoppers choke on a chicken and die. No offense Jodie. lol