Saturday, May 29, 2004

Parent Anniversary

Once upon a time, a long time ago, my father gave me this instruction with regards to their anniversary "Don't worry about our anniversary, it is OUR anniversary and has nothing to do with you." Well I took him up on it and have promptly not done anything for their anniversary for at least the last 15 years. This year, however, I get the following statement from my mother, "Since it is our 40th Anniversary, I don't expect you to do anything special, but YOUR FATHER..." We can translate this as such... "I expect you to do something special." Interestingly enough when I asked my dad about it, he said something about going to this little Mexican place they like to eat at and he has plans or something. So I asked him if he wanted some big deal made, and he didn't seem to think so. *sigh*. If she wants something specific I wish she would just make our lives easier and tell us. I think this is actually the first time I know how long they've been married. In the past they always gave stupidass answers like "forever" or "too long" or "since the beginning of time." My darling little sister just had a brilliant idea. Apparently they are going to New York in August (who knew?) and we could get them tickets for a 'real' Broadway show. Damn I hope that isn't TOO expensive.

Other random thought, this song by Outkast, I think it is called Roses, is freaking hysterical, but infectous and it will be running through my head all freaking weekend.

1 comment:

Peeved Michelle said...

I think it is weird to celebrate someone else's anniversary. Of course, my mom is on her third husband and my dad has been a bachelor since I was five so what do I know about it? I know it was weird when we received cards on our first anniversary. I think it was maybe just the mother-in-law who sent them (one from her and one from the grandma). There might have been a couple others, though. To me it felt like, "Wow! You made it through a whole year! You deserve some sort of acknowledgment for that feat."