Sunday, June 13, 2004

Encampment

It's over and I'm tired. The girls had a good time, I think. A lot of the adults said that it went well and it was well organized and well run. I could only really focus on the things going wrong, or the things I was struggling to ensure didn't go wrong.

The good: Kids had a great time (and really that's the most important good). My girls had a good camping trip too (and maybe that's more important than the other random girls having a good time). Things went off fairly smoothly. No one got injured. We got a lot of parent help with dishes and food prep so that was nice too.

The bad: People were gripey about certain things... like breakfast - Granola Bars, Muffins & Juice boxes. Get over it I say. I had one troop pissy because we made pb&j for lunch and they had a peanut allergy in their mix. To this I say, I asked your troop 4+ times if there were any food issues/allergies prior to the encampment... the answer I received "They're all with their parents so they won't eat what they aren't supposed to." Sorry can't be accommodating then asshats. Worse... We had a troop go swimming! SWIMMING! At no time did I ever offer this up as an activity. It was not hot... 65ish degrees. THe ocean obviously much colder. And when someone called them on it, they took their own sweet time to get out of the water.

The ugly: Me... at 11:00 this morning after not showering for 2.5 days... cooking with fire last night... hair greasy in the same gross pony tail it had been in all weekend... and my last nerve frayed. I dropped off my stuff at my apartment then took the rental car back. I caught the bus home and realized I probably looked like a homeless person. My shirt was filthy. My jeans probably could've walked on their own. The best thing ever... getting home and getting into that shower. There's something about that first shower after camping. It is like heaven. I could've stood under the hot water for days. I actually did the lather, rinse repeat. I could smell the smoke from the cooking fire just pouring out of my body. Ahh the blissful feeling of being clean.

No comments: