Tuesday, June 15, 2004

If I had a billion dollars...

This morning while walking to work I walked past a headline about a Boeing contract for 3.9 billion dollars. That got me thinking about how much money really is a billion dollars. Which got me thinking about the Pepsi billion dollar contest. Which got me thinking that if I won that contest what would I do?...
The list:
1 - Pay off debt. No brainer there :)
2 - Buy a little house. I don't need anything huge... just a cute little house maybe on the water.
3 - Buy a little car. A hybrid probably. If I move off of the hill to my little house, I would need a car to get to work.
4 - Set up funds for my nieces and nephew to go to college.
5 - Take a nice vacation. Of course to my house of worship. The nice part, I could stay in the FANCY hotel for a long time. :)
6 - Give some to the folks.
7 - Hire a housekeeper and pay her huge amounts of money to assuage my guilt over having a housekeeper.
8 - Charity... Charity... Charity.
9 - Give some to friends.
10 - Maybe adopt a kid or 2.

I like working so I'd keep working probably. Just live a little better than I currently do. I think I would fear ending up like all those other contest winners who you read about in People magazine who declare bankruptcy two years after winning the 2.6 million from Lotto or something.

What would you do?

2 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

If I had a billion dollars:
1. I would take the annual payments, not the lump sum payment regardless of any financial benefits the lump sum might have. I would rather have a guaranteed income.
2. Pay off my house and my mom's house and my brother-in-law's house and my grandma's house and buy my sister a house and buy myself another house on the beach.
3. Pay off the debts of everyone in my family from grandparents to second cousins and establish a family trust that could provide for college assistance to the same group.
4. Hire back the housekeeper. On second thought, she wasn't that great. I would hire a housekeeper like a friend of mine's. One who I could get to run errands for me or be at my house when I am expecting a delivery.
5. Go to some fancy spa and stay there until I am at my goal weight.
6. Buy stuff that I don't really need like expensive clothes, shoes and cars.
7. Become a movie producer.

Unknown said...

If I had a billion dollars I would buy an island and hide. Forever.