Sunday, June 20, 2004

Morning Person, Religion & stuff...

I have to finally admit to myself I really am a morning person. I don't actually mind being up at 5:30. I can get laundry and other stuff done before most people are even up. Of course this means I have to go to bed kind of early... 10:30ish, but that's okay too. Really, what am I doing that late at night? Nothing. Watching mindless TV. I have a terrible time when I try to sleep late. I just need to say ok... this is who I am and I wake up at 5:30. :)

Most of the time religion is a non thing for me. I don't believe in any sort of higher power. I call myself an athiest, although I am probably closer to agnostic. I don't really care who knows it, except when dealing with children. While I am all for lying to adults (everyone does it shut up, although I guess I should clarify that by lying to adults I mean the mostly harmless... no your butt doesn't look fat in those jeans... no I'm just really tired so I'll stay in tonight... of course you're the hottest one here... etc), I don't like to lie to children about the big stuff. You get found out anyway and may as well be upfront. With kids it gets complicated for me. I don't want to contradict what they've learned from their parents, but I don't want to tell them a full blown lie either. Luckily my brownies haven't ever asked me about my beliefs, but they did ask me a St. Peter question the other night at our last meeting. One of the songs we learned while camping, "Found a Peanut" has the singer dying and facing St. Peter. Of course the question... who is St. Peter. I have to answer this delicately since I don't want to say "According to some religious mythologies" which is what I want to say, but most people don't take kindly to when you call their religion mythology. So, first I had to think about who he was since I'm not that up on my religious teachings, then I had to explain it in a way that was the least offensive manner possible. I think I said something like, according to some religions when a person dies, they go to see Saint Peter who will tell them if they get into heaven or to the other place. I know all my brownies (except maybe 1) go to church, and I actually think they go to the same church. I have no idea what kind, though.

Other stuff - I don't like this host of the VH1 Countdown. Her name is Rachel somethingorother and she pronounced Nirvana... nirvAna... emphasis on the 1st A. I couldn't help but think that as a countdown host she should know how to pronounce the artist's names correctly. That is all.
Someone in the elevator today said I smelled beautiful. :) Gotta love herbal essences.

1 comment:

TIMMY! said...

If you get asked about your beliefs, turn the question back on them. kids are dumb, they'll fall for a question as an answer and then start answering your questions.