Sunday, June 27, 2004

People are dumb

I belong to this Celiac Disease (my condition) listserv. Basically all these people post their questions/answers, recipes etc. Sometimes they ask the most asanine questions that I just want to shout at them they should use some common sense. Today's was about beer glasses at bars. If they use the same glasses for beer as they do for soda could there be beer residue from badly washed glasses. I so wanted to reply to the guy "You are an idiot!" Now having worked in a rather large summer camp kitchen and a restaurant kitchen when I was much younger, I can tell you that nowhere that needs to serve more than 10 people at a time washes dishes by hand. They all use these bigass Hobart dish sanitizers. Yeah, periodically food residue stays on but beer residue? It isn't like anything chunky is in beer (I would hope). Now his email will cause a panic amongst all the other panic prone freaks out there about the cleanliness of plates and silverware in restaurants. Sometimes I think I should just stop getting the list, but every once in a rare while I learn something. Other questions/products recently asked about... household cleaners (it isn't like we're drinking them), deoderant (some believe incorrectly that we could absorb the gluten through our skin but in order for there to be a reaction it has to go into the stomach so not likely), laundry detergent, etc. Idiots.

In random good thoughts... rediwhip chocolate whipped cream is really really yummy. :)

2 comments:

TIMMY! said...

you can ask like any question and they'll try to answer it? or do they weed through the questions?

or is it like an email group where you just send an email out with your question waiting for an answer?

Joanne said...

It is an email group where you throw out a question and someone either answers on the list or privately. I asked a question once like 8 or 9 years ago when I was first diagnosed and I got such mean responses to my use of the phrase "catch it in time" meaning that the Dr.'s figured it out quickly before it became too huge a problem not that I caught it from someone else. Apparently all the people had never heard that phrase before and explained to me (some patiently some not so much) that it isn't contagious... I've discovered several of the lists I belong to are like this... Kinda bitchy. I almost never post anything to any of them, but do periodically laugh my ass off at them. (or frequently whichever)