Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Old age & hotness

While I frequently lament about being old (really I am not as hung up as I like to pretend I am), Michelle and I realized another sign of oldness (maybe maturity?). Responsible = hot. I read that in a TWOP recap recently and realized it was so true. Gone are the days when I find the starving artist who drives his beater car to burning man totally hot. Ok to be honest, I never really found THAT type hot anyway. Usually they are unwashed and have dredlocks which are gross and I don't actually know what burning man is (and please don't explain I don't want to know). But you know what I mean. You get to a certain point in your life and you realize that a guy who can hold down a regular full time job is more attractive than one who can't. Throw in the fact that he pays ALL his bills on time, lives in his own place (with or without roommates as long as they aren't his parents) AND if you see him interacting with kids and he does a pretty good job of it, suddenly Clint Howard looks like Brad Pitt. None of this is necessarily related to a desire on my part to be taken care of. I make okay money at my job (only very select few would actually say oh no I make more than enough at my job, please take some of it away). I am surviving just fine on my own thank you... it speaks more to the fact that a guy who can hold down a job for more than a year... lives in his own place... signed a lease!... etc means that possibly he can actually commit. The guy who is unemployed... lives at home... etc... could disappear at the drop of a hat. And yes, on the shallow side, it would be nice not to have to pay for EVERYTHING on a date, which you end up doing with Mr. Unemployed. Ahh the ideals of being a grown-up.

2 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

Good luck finding one who pays all his bills on time. I didn't and neither did most of my married friends. You will probably have to take over the finances. But, on the whole, I agree. I would add in one more factor to the equation.

responsible + money = super hot

TIMMY! said...

Responsible = hot

Translation:

Old.