Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Stadiums & Names

I do not love it when ginormous corporate sponsors buy a stadium or arena or whatever and then rename it after themselves. For example, in California there is this beautiful (to me at least) outdoor amphitheater that at one point was called Irvine Meadows. Now it is Verizon Wireless Amphitheater. How craptastic is this? It would be like calling 'The Gorge' something like Clorox Wetjet Now With Added Bleach Theater. I bring this up because the news has been having teasers all evening for what the Seahawk's Stadium's new name will be now that it apparently has been purchased by a ginormous corporate sponsor.

3 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

It is especially annoying if you grew up knowing the names of things like Irvine Meadows and now know were nothing is playing since they are all at ambiguous sounding places like the Verizon Wireless Amphiteater. The Staples Center is an exception because I never knew it as anything else. If Dodger Stadium ever goes that route, I will know the apocolypse is at hand.

Joanne said...

For the record... apparently Seahawk's Stadium is now Qwest Stadium.

Unknown said...

I wouldn't mind if they bought the damn thing, but they just spend ginormous amounts of money plopping their name all over crap. I hate it, too. If I ever have a ginormous about of money I'm going to rename Safeco Field. It'll be called "Fuck Your Ugly, Stupid Name, Baseball is Dumb Field".

Build it, and they will come.