Monday, August 07, 2006

Currently Frost Free!

I spent far too many hours yesterday defrosting my freezer. In some places the ice was 2 inches thick! That's just crazy. I found a lot of ice cream embedded in the back and threw out a trash bag full of freezer burned food. Sigh. Clearly I need to do this more often but it is such a pain in the ass. However, I found a tip online about using non stick cooking spray and theoretically the ice will just 'pop' off. I have sprayed down the freezer but we'll see if it actually works.

I also did a very bad thing yesterday... I washed and dried my credit card holder. It contained my flexcar key card, my 2 ATM cards, my campus card, my blah blah blah. You get the picture. I have no idea if any of them are going to be negatively impacted by the heat. My flexcar keycard will never be flat again I think. Oh and I washed the card that I use for the pool, the prepaid thing. I hope they will still take it. You can see where the guy has x-ed out some of the $$ for my class.

I think I am going to get my hair cut and dyed this week. There's a foot to take off and I'm tired of it again. In my continuing effort to find a good place, I'm going to try one of the schools. Isa goes to it all the time and raves about it and it is much cheaper than going to a regular place. Plus she says they have the instructors there in case something goes awry. Plus, it is just hair I don't get all worked up about it like some people.

Finally, I wish there was a job where I could just lay in bed and read books. I finished The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell this weekend and started and finished Have you Seen Me? It was interesting and I couldn't put it down, but by the end I felt a little flat. I don't think that we really got a sense of the character and I had a hard time really believing the descent from college graduate into stripper into prostitute. Her reasons for becoming a stripper - she liked to dance, she didn't want to work in a 9-5 office job, she never got to run around naked as a kid - were odd to me. (Not that I know reasons to become a stripper, and maybe it is my own repressed waspy upbringing that assumes there have to be better reasons to become a stripper than that... or maybe that was something I missed in the book, the subtext that made this descent more logical.) The author can write though and her descriptions are amazing. I just thought the main character was rather emotionless and flat.

3 comments:

Robin said...

If it's really a foot long, you can donate your hair to Locks of Love (if it hasn't been dyed.)

Zed said...

I've washed and dried credit cards, ATM cards, and sundry other important items, and while they survived the wash part of the deal, they didn't quite make it through the dryer cycle because I always set the temperature control to "high." Sigh. I'm sooo hoping this doesn't happen to you.

Joanne said...

They actually will accept all types of hair dyed or not becuase what they can't use for children they sell to wigmakers for adults and then use the proceeds. This will be my 3rd donation to them in about 6 years.

Luckily my debit cards worked. I haven't checked my campus card or my flexcar keycard yet.