Monday, August 14, 2006

A review of good things and notso good things and other stuff...

Flexcar - I got my Flexcar bill in the mail over the weekend. It was for $310. Holy shit! I checked it over and discovered that in error they double billed me for the weekend $100. Ok, no prob. I call them and leave a message about that. I got an email from the billing person and not only did she credit me (which is only correct) but she reprocessed my other part of the bill. I was signed up for one of the Advantage plans (where you get 10 hours for a flat $85 as opposed to paying $9.00 per hour) but I totally didn't use 10 hours worth of time. I was expecting that fact and kind of kicking myself for forgetting to change the plan. She fixed it for me! That was awesome.

Mr & Mrs. Smith - I watched this on cable last night. It was fun in that I like movies where people shoot at other people, however except the action part I thought the rest was kind of boring. Maybe that's some deep metaphorical point that I obviously missed.

Losing it - (book) As far as chick lit goes, I like a lot of it. I'm not sure how I felt about this one. It ended the way one would expect it to. But there were some definite points where I almost put the book down because I could not believe any adult would act or think this way. In chapter 3 she goes to the doctor because she thinks she might be pregnant since she missed 2 periods. She hasn't had sex in years and so the doctor and her mother laugh at her. It was painful and unnecessary and in this day and age, anyone can google symptoms and come up with a better potential diagnosis than that. I checked the Amazon reviews, and people found it funny. I did not. Of course that may be because some of it hit just a touch too close to home for me. (The mother who never has anything nice to say about the daughter... A few others...) I did like the friendship between her and the older woman though. That was probably my favorite part of the whole book.

Romantic Fiction - I liked this book. It was cute and fluffy and so everyone fell into stereotypes, what's wrong with that? Honestly stereotypes come from somewhere, so there's always a bit of underlying truth there. And there were several places I just busted out laughing, so who needs more than that?

Welcome to the Great Mysterious - I just finished this one Saturday at the bus stop. At the bus stop where I'm close to bawling my head off because of the whole last quarter. That's not at all embarrassing. :) I really enjoyed it and I liked the idea of the book the sisters put together as children. During one family trip to an uncle's cabin, the girls put together this book of life questions. Then they asked each family member to write down their answer. The family each wrote an answer on a slip of paper which was then tucked into the book and the next day everyone drew one out and read it aloud. It really was just a sweet book and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm really liking books by Lorna Landvik. I read Patty Janes House of Curl and Oh My Stars some time ago and I remember enjoying both of those as well. I've just started Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons and I may have to check out the rest of her books.

No comments: