Thursday, August 17, 2006

Naming conventions

I was speaking with our workstudy student about names and naming children. She apparently will be one of those evil moms who names her kids things like lyly (lily) or ryver (river). Of course her mother named her a conventional name but used y's instead of i or e or a. I told her when we were going through the hiring process, that acutally counted against her in my book. I almost didn't even want to have them interview her because it was annoying. She chuckled.

But it did remind me of a whole afternoon my friend Marion from college and I sat in the study in my suite and discussed baby names. (Before you go thinking I went to some fancy schmancy college, know 2 things... 1 - I went to a state school and 2 - I lived in the all girls hall. Also, by suite all they meant was the 2 bedrooms and a middle room with 2 'shelves' that were desks along the 2 side walls. I may have to draw this out in like paint for it to make sense but I've digressed). So we were discussing baby names and I have to say my friend Marion was inappropriate. She was fabulous but totally inappropriate. I had a roommate at the time, Jen, who was a prude. Now I'm kind of prudish, but she took it to whole other levels. You couldn't say masturbate in front of her because she'd get all weirded out. Marion loved nothing more than to come into our room shouting words like masturbate or penis just to make Jen squirm. That too was awesome. So my friend Marion was talking about baby names and she decided that she wanted 2 kids... a boy and a girl. The girl would be named Regina (which pronounced the Canadian way rhymes with a certain girly body part.) The boy... he did not get off so luckily. She would name him Penis. (Pronounced Pennis, rhymes with Dennis). So she spent the whole afternoon in our suite chattering and shouting the words Pennis and Regina until Jen was practically blue. She had been speaking with her mother who was an even bigger prude (is that possible?) and she was mortified by Marion. That was a truly awesome way to spend an afternoon.

2 comments:

Kate the Peon said...

That does sound like fun. Roommates could be fun that way. Now I want paint to draw out my dorm room!

... said...

That would be evil to name either of your children those names. I know an elderly lady with the name Regina pronounced the same way but I don't know if you could get away with it these days.

I always wanted to have a normal name (Mishka is just my nickname), but now I kind of like that my name is unusual. I guess as a kid we all just want to fit in with susan or john....