Monday, August 28, 2006

Ride the ducks!

Dammit, I hate it when blogger gets weird about pics. It let me post all but the first (last) one. (I post them in reverse order so I don't have to do a bunch of rearranging later.)
So, yesterday I went to Ride the Ducks. I've wanted to do this for some time and never managed to go so I just decided I am going to do it. I'm not 100% sure it was worth 25 bucks... oh who am I kidding, it was totally worth 25 bucks. :) They have the funny tourguides like you'd see on the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland.


So here we are at the start of our 90 minute tour. The boat is some carry over from WW2. There are multiple places you can ride the ducks and I highly recommend it. The breeze was nice although every once in awhile we would get this blast of hot air from the way the air moves in the downtown area.


This is our captain, Captain Lee King. Kind of handsome isn't he? I was in love instantly. Here he's demonstrating where to put our asses in case of an emergency.

The view of the University of Washington from the 99 bridge. This section of the 99 has a speed limit of 45 mph, so we were scooting along pretty quickly. If you ever decide to go on one of these things, the right side seems to be the better side for pictures. (I was on the left).

Here's the skyline from Lake Union.


Gas Works Park. Apparently this area used to be a refinery of some sort and according to the tourguide the land under the park is so toxic that the builders who originally wanted to put condos there were unable to. But somehow, it is okay for a park. :) Actually they put in like 3 cubic feet (or maybe meters) of good dirt to try to protect the people. Kite hill is here and is supposed to be a great place for what? Kite flying. :) I think I want to get a kite for next summer.

Sleepless in Seattle! This is the floating house that was Tom Hanks' house in that movie. I learned the difference between a floating house and a houseboat. (It should be semi-obvious but I had actually never heard of such a thing as floating houses which is what we call houses on barges that float but don't have engines.)

Sailing sailing over the bounding main... Pretty sail boat.

Me at the end of the ride. The white lace around my neck holds my quacker (basically a duck noise maker with a beak shape).

Down at Westlake Center they were doing the sand castle building again. I stopped by and snapped a couple of shots. I find the sand building so cool. It is something I would have no skill with but I find awesome.

There's another picture I wanted to post, but blogger isn't having it. It is just a shot of the Space Needle, but I like the angle.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Great photos! I've been having problems with Blogger in general, not just photos, lately.